4.6 Cobras : 3.73's or 4.10's???

md20

Dec 12, 2004
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times on this board, but I just bought a 98 white/black cobra. Anyone have experiance with both?

I love the 3.73's on my 5.0, but the 5.0's don't rev as high. But, 4.10's just seem to tall.

• Sponsors (?)

md20 said:
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times on this board, but I just bought a 98 white/black cobra. Anyone have experiance with both?

I love the 3.73's on my 5.0, but the 5.0's don't rev as high. But, 4.10's just seem to tall.

The 4.10's should have been the stock gear for a road warrior like a cobra, or at least an option. I put 4.10's in my 04 (3.55 stock) and went from 11.6 to 11.2, now I actually use 6th occasionally and no I do not use the car as my daily commuter. If you want a car that gets maximum lug mileage, trade it for a hybrid.

If you want a street monster, do the 4.10's and don't bother asking sport drivers who like every mod that is voted the favorite, ask the strip guys. The only reason I would go shorter is if I converted to turbos, which seem to like to be lugged at first.

yup 4.10's and sticky tires and you will not believe the diff.

Uncle Meat said:
Can you clarify this statement please?

U.M.

Yeah I guess that sounded pretty stupid, but Im known for that, not everybody on this board is a sport driver and the dude asking about the gear swap is on the right track: asking for the opinion of guys who have actually swapped to 4.10's and what did they think because if he is not careful he may get the popularty poll which normally breaks out. To me a guy is a sport driver if he doesn't go to the track more than once or twice a year, so most of those guys probably would be afraid to or would see no need to swap gears, but they will tell you that you shouldn't go to 4.10's, without even trying them. does that make more sense now? No jab at anybody, nothing wrong in milking your warranty, terminator owners can be concerned with mileage, but there are other jockeys that like to push their rides to the limits, heck maybe even risking breaking (scary thought) something and for that bunch they will know as soon as they try the 4.10's why they are perfect for their snakes.
:Track:
all I was TRYing to say was DONT FEAR THE GEAR! , but unfortunately english is a second language for me. :rolleyes:

04_snake said:
Yeah I guess that sounded pretty stupid, but Im known for that, not everybody on this board is a sport driver and the dude asking about the gear swap is on the right track: asking for the opinion of guys who have actually swapped to 4.10's and what did they think because if he is not careful he may get the popularty poll which normally breaks out. To me a guy is a sport driver if he doesn't go to the track more than once or twice a year, so most of those guys probably would be afraid to or would see no need to swap gears, but they will tell you that you shouldn't go to 4.10's, without even trying them. does that make more sense now? No jab at anybody, nothing wrong in milking your warranty, terminator owners can be concerned with mileage, but there are other jockeys that like to push their rides to the limits, heck maybe even risking breaking (scary thought) something and for that bunch they will know as soon as they try the 4.10's why they are perfect for their snakes.
:Track:
all I was TRYing to say was DONT FEAR THE GEAR! , but unfortunately english is a second language for me. :rolleyes:
Yes makes sense now. Although if he were an 03/04 Cobra owner (Sport Driven) I'd disagree with you. 4.10's are almost a "must have" for the '01 and earlier Cobra's even if you are using it as a daily driver. On the other hand unless you're running your 03/04 at the track alot (like you) then the stock 3.55's are plenty enough gear.

U.M.

Wonder why is it so common for those who have never used 4.10 gears to repeat what they've "heard" about them being too much gear.

DON'T FEAR THE GEAR sums it up. I've got about 17,000 miles now on a set of 4.10s, a lot of that being highway driving, and wouldn't go back to stock gears, even though my stock 3.55 gears were acceptable . I personally think Ford should offer them as an option.

missouri_guy197 said:
I agree...

4.10's are good street gears if you never plan on going to the track

4.30's are the best gears for a street car that sees the strip

4.56's are absolutely fun no matter where you are...

Well said:nice:

Atleast install a set of 4:10's. I've done this in the past and it was a night and day difference:D