4.6 Procharger

rayvinton

Nov 7, 2007
I know this is probably on here about once a week but anyway. I have a stock 4.6 with a few bolt ons (dragon upper plenum, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing 70mm TB, Steeda underdrive pulleys and 3.55's) and i want to put a procharger on it. I have seen and heard that i could run 10 psi with a p1sc and a 3 core IC safely. I had talked with dss today and they said that procharger would say that it is safe put he says that it is not no is there anyone out there running similar setups or just 8-10 psi and for how long have you been doing it and do you drag race? thanks for the info

ray

• Sponsors (?)

I know this is probably on here about once a week but anyway. I have a stock 4.6 with a few bolt ons (dragon upper plenum, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing 70mm TB, Steeda underdrive pulleys and 3.55's) and i want to put a procharger on it. I have seen and heard that i could run 10 psi with a p1sc and a 3 core IC safely. I had talked with dss today and they said that procharger would say that it is safe put he says that it is not no is there anyone out there running similar setups or just 8-10 psi and for how long have you been doing it and do you drag race? thanks for the info

ray

I've been running 10+ pounds for almost a year now with 400+whp . Blowers are safe as long as the afr is around 11-11.8 .

You'll be fine, but you have to put your stock pullies back on. U/D won't work with teh SC. I have been running 8.5lbs for 4 summers now. 13,000 supercharged miles...many times down the track. Car runs and drives fine. The tune is the key to success. I also use to have a Procharged 3 core intercooled 95 GT. 11-12lbs of boost...same story. Fun, safe and fast!!

ray

The reason DSS says its not safe is so you will buy a short block from them. You wil be fine I ran 10psi on my car for about a year and never had one problem. I just wanted to make more power so I did a built bottom end but I still have my stock one sitting in my garage.

is there anybody else out there running 8-10 psi with no internal upgrades?

There are tons of guys running 8-10psi, its really the norm. Go to the poweradder section on this page and you should find tons of information. With an intercooler you will have to pulley down any ways do to losing power through it. I was running a 3.25 pulley and I made 10 psi right at 5,500rpms when I added my IC.

I have a friend who has been running 10 psi for the last year and he makes sure he beats on the car alot and it has held up fine. He is using the stock internals with nothing else but exhaust and gears. Get a custom tune for your car at a local dyno and dont look back.

I've been running 10psi for about a year now. The key as a few others said is a good tune. The buy-a chip through the mail is spotty at best. You really need to get it strapped to a dyno and get a quality tune put in. IMHO that is the key to any big upgrade.

See my sig for what I've done to date. I pretty much have stock internals and run it down the strip fairly often.

My fear is the rear end with those 5000rpm dumps on MT DR's....:)

ray

DSS told you that because they want you to buy a shortblock from them

Yep it will be totally fine...just tell your dyno tuner that you want the tune to be SAFE.
Heck look at my sig...and yes thats right, stock shortblock. I have 15K turbocharged miles on her with boost ranging from 7.5PSI to 12.4PSI.