4.6 Swap

Yea dude, the stock cast-iron block is not gonna hold 1000 h orse power, the 4.6 stock aluminum block (from what I've read) is not gonna hold that much power. You are going to have to order a specially made aluminum block for those type of horses.
Maybe I'll look more into building a 4.6 but I still wana switch for from 2v to 4v. What does it take for me to do that. Will I need a new harness?

• Sponsors (?)

Yea dude, the stock cast-iron block is not gonna hold 1000 h orse power, the 4.6 stock aluminum block (from what I've read) is not gonna hold that much power. You are going to have to order a specially made aluminum block for those type of horses.
Maybe I'll look more into building a 4.6 but I still wana switch for from 2v to 4v. What does it take for me to do that. Will I need a new harness?

I've heard of Teksid 4.6L motors that have been deburred/worked over holding massive amounts of power, well above 700. The cast iron block is stronger than the Teksid but much heavier (80-100lbs). All of the stock 4.6L blocks can hold a serious bit of power with some work to them.

I think the 05+ 4.6L block itself is actually stronger than the Teksid and the weight is the same. It was chryo treated from the factory.

If you want to spend the money, you can make a boatload of power with these 4.6L motors.

Personally I prefer the new 5.0 platform because of all the additional technology with the variable valve timing and such but if you are going to make that much power you might have to disable the VCT technology anyways. Parts for the new platform are more expensive and there are less people out there with experience on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your question is much too vague to give a useful answer. If you are expecting a full on "plug and play" swap for the motor AND transmission then the short answer is "stick to the same model year as the donor".

TONS of people have swapped the 4.6 motors in a crap load of combinations. But the swap depends upon keeping the electronics of the HOST car.

Add to this is the PCM and the tune it contains. If trying to retain the PCM as well, then the advice for sticking to the same MY goes double. Putting a PCM from a 2003 into a 1999-2000 will have issues such as no AC.

Putting a PCM into a 98 and older is not really practical because of the HUGE differences in the base electrical of the cars.

Note about PATS. Remember unless you want to have PATS re-programmed keep the cluster and PCM together.

The more restrictive swap may be the transmission. The 98 and older Mustangs uses a VSS sensor. The 99+ uses an OSS sensor. The sensors are NOT compatible to each other. The sensor used must match what the PCM is expecting and the transmission wiring harness.

There are also differences in the automatic transmission between 04, 03, and 99-01. The differences can be over come with some re-wiring and tune.

This will depend upon the exact model year combination, the exact parts swapped, and the amount of re-working you are willing to do. Recommend getting a full set of wiring diagrams for the donor and host model years so that the differences can easily be compared.

Just wondering WHY? Have you wrecked the donor?
Do you know what it would take to make my 2v a 4v? You seem to know a ton and I would appreciate Any info about what I would need to do the swap