4.6 to 351c swap

zugsyn

Aug 15, 2005
I have a 2001 GT its not looking very cost effective to make big horsepower with the 4.6 considering I already have a built 351c rated at 600hp If anyone and information on this swap like parts I'll need and what not. Any Info would be a big help I've searched a lot of forums and this doesnt seem to be any Information that i can find at least. I've worked alot with the fox bodies so I was hoping the swap might be similar. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

• Sponsors (?)

Clevelands rock...

but the only parts for installing one in ANYTHING wasn't built to have a Cleveland in it will probably have to be made yourself...(I had a 351C in my '66 fastback back in the 80's, I'd give...well...a lot to get that car back)

Well I know it doesnt take much to drop one in a fox body guess we'll have to hit the drawing board on this one

I believe the windsor was the same block as the 5.0. That swap would be much easier as you could just find a wrecked 94/95 and have almost all parts needed.

The swap you are doing is not very common and will take much fabrication.

Is this going to be a street car afterwards? If so, sell the Cleveland, buy an Aluminator and a blower and call it a day. A forged Modular Engine will take all the power that Cleveland will and more and in the end youi'll still knock down 20mpg+. And not that I’m doubting you….but what exactly is done to this Cleveland that it’s making 600hp. I don’t know how many so called high horsepower engines I’ve seen not even break 300hp on the dyno when all was said and done. You’ve got to have a VERY serious piece of hardware on your hands to make those sorts of claims. In any case…it doesn’t belong in a street car.

Sounds like a colossal pain in the ass and a serious step backwards to do the Cleveland swap IMO.

Why a cleveland? Windsor's are where it's at.

All you will need is a 94/95 K member, and a foxbody fuel injection harness. You can use your power brakes if you make an adapter for the power steering. If you are not going to use power steering, then get the brake system out of a fox body or 94/95 car.

The information I gave is about Windsor's. I have never messed with a Cleveland, so I dont now very much about them. But with a Windsor, there really is nothing that has to be fabbed up. You can even buy some Windsor headers for a 94/95 car and they will fit just fine.

I'm guessing here....but if it was all about making sense and being cost effective not many people would do engine swaps at all ;) ...it would be an interesting project and it could have a great looking engine bay when it's done...

Windsors have a better bottom end, and there are a boat load of parts for them....but those Cleveland canted valve head are oh so sweat, heck the current Ford NASCAR head is a direct descendant of the Cleveland...and not many engines sound as good as a Cleveland with an aggressive cam...

if I didn't have to deal with California smog checks, I'd love to put a 351C in my GT :D

lots of things aren't cost effective...and hot rodding cars is near the top of that list ;)

but if this is something to do for fun and a challenge go for it...it you are interested in the most bang for the buck there are probably better choices.

But why build a windsor if he already has a Cleveland. He was asking what is needed for the swap not if it was more cost effective to build a Cleveland or Windsor. In all honesty if he has a built motor it may be cheaper to drop that one in than to build the 4.6l. Let's face it our mod motors aren't cheap to build.

I'm still waiting for him to reply to my inquiry as to what's done to it that it makes 600hp. That's a very, very tall order to fill. If it’s anywhere close to stock, he’s lucky to see half of that.

...in which case, sell it and use the money for a blower for the modular.

It is a 351 C block that we pulled out of a 72 Pantera , bored and stroked to 410 cubic inches with forged scat crank, chevy rods and 13.5 forged pistons, ran pantera steel heads ported polished with vicon valves and seals, wieand intake holley 850 double pumper , runs off 102+ octane gas dyno'd at 594 hp... thats close enough to 600 hp to me

So what you're saying is, that you don't plan on this being much of a street car afterwards? I still think you should find an old Fox body to plop it into....or an early V6 SN95.

Seems a shame to ruin a good running 4.6L EFI car for that? :shrug:

It is a 351 C block that we pulled out of a 72 Pantera , bored and stroked to 410 cubic inches with forged scat crank, chevy rods and 13.5 forged pistons, ran pantera steel heads ported polished with vicon valves and seals, wieand intake holley 850 double pumper , runs off 102+ octane gas dyno'd at 594 hp... thats close enough to 600 hp to me

The cost of swapping that motor into your car will equal putting a blower on and getting 400whp. Sell that motor, build this one for boost, and you will be able to out perform that motor in every way.

I would think that rather than hunting factory 94/95 parts you could just get an aftermarket K member for a 94-95. (Like one made by Maximum Motorsports) Plenty of companies make them. Then you need the proper transmission and a transmission cross member. (if cross member different) You will probably need to resize your drive shaft.

Its not so expensive as what people are making it out to be. If you have the motor the most money will be spent on that aftermarket K member and a transmission that will take the abuse.