4 BANGER T-5????

CobraDuce

Dec 27, 2003
RedNeck, Pa
I was wondering... I have a 351w that I built and I want to put a t-5 on to it. I figured I'd have to rebuild the t-5 with race gears any how and i have a t-5 from a 4 banger 83 that my brother wrecked I was wonderingif this could make due as the trany to be rebuilt. If so what would i need to make it bolt up to the 351.

Thanks

Rob D.

Ps. Im a 16 yea rold apprentice technition so if one person mentions a 1500 dolor tremic trany i may kill my self j/k

• Sponsors (?)

id like to know about this to. i also have a 4-banger t-5 and was wondering if id be able to send it away to g-force to have them do their thing to it. but i need to make sure i can use it. im thinking its probly gonna be no because ive heard something about spline count on the input or the diameter of it.

You can use it, you just need a different pilot bearing, i've also seen people beat the crap out of them, with the intentions on it breaking, so they could put there real trans back in, after rebuilt. And the 4 banger trans never gave out. I think the pilot bearing is only like 20 bucks.

I believe the 4 cyl trans also has a longer first gear, which is ideal for 3.73 and 4.10 cars that just burn the tires up in first.

I don't think you even need a new bellhousing, i'm not totally sure though. I'm pretty sure all you need is the pilot bearing, because of a small difference in the input shaft.

If no one replies here, look through ebay ads for a t-5 transmissions (use different terms to find out the best search), most of the ads for 4 banger tranny's explain what you need.

you said Ps. Im a 16 yea rold apprentice technition so if one person mentions a 1500 dolor tremic trany i may kill my self j/k but i looked at the g-force and for the good one that will handle the power of a 351w it would cost more than the tremic trans just my 2 cents

I believe you can use a pilot bearing from an '85 T5, as they came with a smaller input shaft than the '87-'93 T5s did. I too have heard stories of guys beating the crap out of these tranys and even running 12s all day with'em. I think it's all in how you shift. If you've got a TKO in there and you power shift enough it's gonna break. As far as the bell, you need a V8 bell housing and flywheel.

the difference in the case depends on if its a world class or not the non-world uses torington style roller bearings with a thrust washer for forward and back pressure on the counter shaft the world class uses tapered roller bearings.

Oh No not this discussion again, did any of you do a search first? :D

1. The 4-cylinder T-5 has the same exact bolt pattern as the 5.0 T-5
2. The pilot on the 4-cyl T-5 is smaller, a special pilot bearing is required.
3. The 4-cyl T-5 has totally different gearing, it's a LOT smaller, meaning, the gears are a lot closer. 1st and 2nd will be the same as 1st in a 5.0 T-5. The reason behind this is because the 4-cylinder needs more gear reduction to get the car moving than the v-8 would because the v-8 has more torque. Here is a link telling you the gear ratios and differences from the 4-cyl to the v-8 tranny. http://www.therangerstation.com/T5ID.htm

The torque rating of the 4-cyl is quite a bit less than the v-8 tranny. One would think the 4-cyl tranny would give out a lot sooner. But, i have a friend that has a stock 5.0 with a 4-cyl tranny behind it and is running low 15's without sticky tires and hasn't had a problem.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I believe you can use a pilot bearing from an '85 T5, as they came with a smaller input shaft than the '87-'93 T5s did. I too have heard stories of guys beating the crap out of these tranys and even running 12s all day with'em. I think it's all in how you shift. If you've got a TKO in there and you power shift enough it's gonna break. As far as the bell, you need a V8 bell housing and flywheel.

I don't buy into the smaller pilot bearing on the 85's, i have an '85 V-8 tranny and it's no different than any other V-8 tranny on the input.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
I don't buy into the smaller pilot bearing on the 85's, i have an '85 V-8 tranny and it's no different than any other V-8 tranny on the input.

You're completely right, i just talked to the guy i got that from, and it's the pilot bearing for an '84-85 Ranger, not a Mustang...Sorry.