4 lug disc brakes?

BBRacer

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2001
Calgary
Hi All,

Want to do a disk brake conversion to my '65 - 6 cyl mustang and think budget wise the Granada one would be best. Is there any rotors that would work with this swap so I could keep my 4 lug aftermarket wheels??

I know there are kits out there but budget is important right now. There must be lots of Ford 4 lug rotors out there without using the 5 lug ones??

6 cyl Granada's? Mustang II's?? :shrug: (I did a search but found nothing except for rear brakes)

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I have seen the kits online but....

I was hoping for the junkyard solution - I was hoping to use rotors with 4 lugs for now, then next time I have to do them (or when I am more $$$$) I can get 5 lug and the factory wheels I like.

Instead of it being a $1000 kit, it turns into a $1000 kit + $1000 for new wheels and at least half or better again for new rubber :notnice: . I was hoping I could swap in the junkyard stuff ($400? Use new parts where required), and then be done with it for now.

Any other ideas??

there was a guy that was working on a four lug disc brake swap for the early bolt pattern cars, but things kept getting in his way. he was working on a four wheel disc system. a few cars that had rotors that fit his wheels, and had the 4x4 1/2" bolt pattern, included the acura gs30(?), a couple of mazda's, and an early nissan or two. you are going to have to fab brackets for the calipers, and at this point you can use most any caliper, but you will need to find hubs that fit what ever spindle you plan on using. the only granada's that had four lugs were the last granada's(81), and they use the fox body 4x4 1/4 bolt pattern, so that wont help, in fact they were fuglyed up fairmonts. best you can do is hit the parts stores and find a counter guy that has some smarts and some time to help you locate hubs and rotors that will fit your application. by the way even marvericks did not have disc brakes on cars with six cylinder engines. my advice would be to stop trying to be cheap about it and either use the aftermarket four lug system, or swap to five lugs on all four corners.

by the way, you can do a 5 lug swap, including wheels, for under $1000. using the granada, or similar spindles, a granada 8" rear, and for wheels that look different and are reasonably priced, use the aluminum wheels from a mid 80's ranger or bronco ll as they fit the early mustang real nice, and the wheels are pretty neat looking.

I'm doing a Granada swap with these wheels.
attachment.php

Got them with tires from one of the V6ers for $300. Only thing is it'll need spacers. But I should still be around $500.

There are also some of the '05 V6 wheels with spinners and new tires going cheap on ebay. I'm thinking those might look good on a classic.

Attachments

• IM0.JPG
    IM0.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 686
BBRacer said:
Hi All,

Want to do a disk brake conversion to my '65 - 6 cyl mustang and think budget wise the Granada one would be best. Is there any rotors that would work with this swap so I could keep my 4 lug aftermarket wheels??

I know there are kits out there but budget is important right now. There must be lots of Ford 4 lug rotors out there without using the 5 lug ones??

6 cyl Granada's? Mustang II's?? :shrug: (I did a search but found nothing except for rear brakes)

Perhaps you would like a response that answers your question? The rotors (but not spindles) used on Pinto or Mustang II will work. They are 4 lug, use the same calipers and bearings as Granada. They can be purchased new for $19 ea + shipping. That said, there is no guarantee that your wheels will fit these rotors. They probably will not, unless they are designed for disc brake application.