5.0 Tuning Issues???

5ohno

Dec 23, 2010
I was thinking about purchasing a 1994 5.0 with a manual trans from a friend of mine...The following mods are...GT40P Heads, Ford Racing F303 Cam, 4.10 Gears, C&L Cold Air, BBK T.B., BBK Longtubes & O/R Xpipe, Flowmaster Exhaust, and Pulleys...The car runs fine at mid to high range and WOT, but it doesn't idle very well and coughs a bit at cruising speeds...I was wondering where I could get a mail order chip because there is no one around that does dyno tunes and I can't spend the money or haul the car anywhere right now to get it done...I just need a chip to clear up these small problems for now...:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You can purchase a Motorvation Custom Tuned Chip through Summit Racing Equipment. I had one done for my modified '87 Mustang w/ 306 and it works great. You Purchase the chip through Summit then a tech from Motorvation will contact you and fax you a sheet to fill out with the modifications done to the motor, you fax it back to them and then they burn you a custom chip and send it to you. So easy a cave man can do it.

There are a number of custom tuners out there that can surely get you a better tune than anybody Summit carries , the 94-95 computers are a bit of a challenge for most mail order places since they are a load based computer unlike the foxbody computers ....

Your problems might not be solved with a chip. There could be electrical or mechanical reasons for the problems you are experiencing.

Have you run the codes? Just cuz the check engine light is not on doesn't mean a major code is not stored.

To expect a chip to solve your issues may leave you someone disappointed. They aren't that magical.