5.0 with T5 from 2.3, converting BACK to T5 from 5.0.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I have an 88 coupe that appearently has gone through some changes. It is a rebuild with a 5.0, T5. According to VIN it was originally a 2.3...but I am not sure about tranny. All I know is that NOW it has a 5.0 with a T5 from a 2.3. I want to convert it back and put a WC T5 for a 5.0 in it, and am not sure what to look for.

I know I need to replace the pilot bearing and put the correct one in, I think the driveshaft is OK, because I believe it is from a 5.0 anyway. The shaft looked like it was crammed in there, which made us believe the driveshaft was wrong. After we figured out the tranny was from a 2.3, I believe that is the only thing I need to worry about.

The confusing thing we ran into was a spacer behind the flywheel. When I got the flywheel off, there was a thin spacer on the crank. I attempted to put it back together withOUT the spacer, and it sounded like the starter was not lined up with the flywheel correctly. I don't know if the spacer and the tranny have anything to do with each other...or if the spacer was put there to keep the flywheel from hitting the shield between the bellhousing and the block.

At this point, I am going to put the correct pilot bearing in, the correct tranny in, and replace the shield. HOPEFULLY that is all I will run into. I just wondered if anybody has had any experience with any of the above situations.

• Sponsors (?)

I am not 100% sure. I know it WAS a 2.3...but I am not sure what tranny was in it. The floorpan looks like it might have been cut, which makes me think it was an auto originally. Either way, the engine is not stock.

I wonder if the big shield that goes between the bellhousing and block would make a difference.