5.4 Triton V8 ?

rhyno811

Feb 11, 2008
has anyone done a swap with the 5.4 triton? i got some info from a couple of local mustang guys and they told me all i would need is a tubular K member and a trans from a 4.6L Stang or a lincoln mark IIV. im gettin the motor out of a expedition that was totalled and brought to my work. can anyone tell me what else i need to grab from this expedition besides the obvious: motor, wiring harness, and ECU? oh ya one more thing, i know the lightning came with the 5.4 Triton supercharged... are the engine specs the same just minus the SC? i really need some quick help because the truck is gettin ready to go to the junkyard and i want to know if i should pull the motor or not waste my time?

• Sponsors (?)

The 5.4 is huge and heavy, it would be a very tight fit in the engine bay. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be challanging. In addition, it is more intended for low end torque than high rpm horsepower.

Is there a particular reason you are considering the 5.4 other than you have one available?

ya just the fact that i know it has been done. im not looking for a track car, just a cruiser with some balls. i was originally going to go turbo 4cyl, but it lost it luster. im not looking to get a 5.0 motor and work it from the ground up. the 5.4 i can get for 200 bucks has less then 100k on it, and i know it runs good... not to mention it has 260 hp and like 330 torque. there shouldnt be a problem with it fitting, i was told from someone whos seen it done that there isnt any real fabricating to get it to fit. tubular k member, maybe springs, and some misc. im not sayin its easy, but just as much work if i were to swap my 4cyl with a 5.0. isnt the 5.4 in the shelby's? same motor as the lightning but a more modified?

its not the same motor its got a different top end but i would say go 4 it i have the 5.4 in my f150 and had a budy with a 5.4 98 stang as far a low end torque its the intake and cames that give it that i would try 2 find Navi heads cause they are 4v and d sullivan performance makes allot of parts for mod motors and they have alot of good info :nice:

I've seen it done but you can get more power from a 351w and it is easy to swap in! plus the 5.4 is about 200lbs heavier. I think a dohc 4.6 would be a better choice if youre intent on a modular fox.

I am seriously considering this option after spending time with Stoppie Montoya. Finding parts for a decent amount of money around here for my 302/347 is tough, and coming in I knew this was part of the fun and comes with the territory, but practicality dictates a re-visit sometimes. I also own an Expedition, and that thing jumps off the line like it weighed nothing, and sounds cool. And I can get a whole engine, ECM, harness, everything for it, installed, for less than $500, and the 5.4 is so common that procuring parts will not be difficult.

Why not just do the v10 6.8 ? Very common engine. It's just a 5.4 with 2 more cylinders. They move big u haul trucks loaded like nothings behind them.

$500 bucks for 5.4 installed in a mustang, wired and running???
yes, I live in Saudi Arabia, and if I get one with a 6 month warranty, it will be closer to $1200, installed, running, and with that 6 month warranty.

Didn't realize you were in Saudi. I could see that being a hard engine to get there. That's why it's hard to get parts for 5.0. I understand now.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, I live in Saudi Arabia, and if I get one with a 6 month warranty, it will be closer to $1200, installed, running, and with that 6 month warranty.

Does that include the hydroboost conversion(or manual brakes) and the K-member and the custom exhaust?

I mean that’s a great price, but putting a 5.4 in a fox isn’t as easy as pull the 302 out and drop a 5.4 in and hook up some wires.

Swap headers alone are probably $1k USD

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Does that include the hydroboost conversion(or manual brakes) and the K-member and the custom exhaust?

I mean that’s a great price, but putting a 5.4 in a fox isn’t as easy as pull the 302 out and drop a 5.4 in and hook up some wires.

Swap headers alone are probably $1k USD
Indeed, it is not an easy undertaking at all. I am going through the budgetary comparison between working on my current engine, a 302/347 that I have to source parts for from the US and ship them back here, vs. a Triton swap and only getting the specific parts that are unavailable here in Saudi or the neighboring Gulf Countries. It may prove less costly to stay with the 302/347 after all is said and done, but I am still working those figures out. And of course, I have to look at life cycle costs of running a 302/347 vs the Triton. If anything is amiss with the 302/347, that is a huge cost to sort it out vs. the Triton which is so common my next door neighbors dog can fix it :)

thanks for the reply

• Haha

Swap headers alone are probably $1k US

Add a hood to that list for clearance.

Even If the engines are common & cheap this swap isn't going to be cheap or easy. The 5.4 is readily available here in the states and cheap enough also but this is a rarely done swap and deep pockets filled with money are needed.

Good luck if you go thru with this.

Jonathan