5.8 ??

blkstangman88

Apr 6, 2004
a buddy of mine has a new rebuild engine still in the crate at his house, its a 351C. im thinking of buying it off him but i was wondering what would i have to do to get it in my 88 gt? will the stock harness plug in? will the 351 motor mounts fit the stock locations, should i go for a 351W instead? i want to keep the EFI on it, but im not sure exactly what parts i should get for it......any ideas let me know...thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

I gaurantee you it's not a brand new 351c crate motor, those were only made 2-3 years or so, like 69-71. sounds like a newer 5.8 351 windsor motor.

will the stock harness plug in? will the 351 motor mounts fit the stock locations said:
Neither a 302 or 351 intake, efi or otherwise, will fit a
351C engine. However, www.pricemotorsport.com makes
adapters to fit either type onto the 351C. Then your efi
harness would work, but they're not cheap.

You'd want to check the firing order to make sure it's
the same as on a 5.0 HO motor. If not, your efi won't
idle very smooth, but would smoothen out once up off
idle a little. I'm not sure if the motor mounts are the
same as a W motor or not, check the below link for info.
I think they are.

Headers and oil pan will likely be a real problem, but look at
this site for swap headers and oil pans, etc, and maybe mounts
if needed. http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/

Also the front accessories won't bolt up, the whole water
pump setup is different for starters. You'd have to buy
a serpentine belt conversion kit, and they are not cheap,
or stay with V belt drive and find all the brackets, pulleys,
etc from a C engine. Then I think the radiator hookups would
be on the wrong side.

That C would make a nice motor, and it isn't as tall as a 351W, but it wouldn't be a cheap swap.

Here's info on 351W swaps
www.lincolnsonline.com/article144.html

[email protected] if I can be of any help

Everything considered, you're better off with a 331 or 347.

quick what to tell if its a cleveland count the valve cover bolts clevelands have 8 windsors have 6 also the thermostat housing on a cleveland is in the block windsors its on the intake clevelands are great motors strong block and real easy breathing heads but it will cost you an arm and a leg to get it in a fox better off just stroking out you 302

if u want cleveland stuff...i have a block, 30 over pistons,rings, rods, crank, heads, intake and brand new canton oil pan i would be happy to let go for a VERY reasonable price... PM me if interested

he told my today its a new rebuild, the engines out of a pre74, cant rememeber exactly what car though. why would it be a challange to fit it in my fox? im noticing parts are not cheap at all, im starting to think i should stick with the 351w ive got planned. any more suggestions?