5-speed or built AOD?

Piece the kit together yourself, you can likely do it under a grand if you find people looking to sell their old parts real cheap and quick.

If it makes him feel better, you can tell him I just spend $3000 on my 4R70W build. That outta help.

• Sponsors (?)

I just can't see having a car that is as much fun as a Mustang and only having two pedals. There are few things better than banging gears in a manual. If it were up to me, every car that is smaller than a van would be a manual.

I am in the same boat , i have an automatic with a beat tranny and i am really on the fence about swapping in a 5-speed or a built aod with a stall , im going to be doing the swap at my house so i want to keep it pretty simple , and plus it sounds like a lot of work to track down all the clutch parts and put them in , its gonna be a weekend warrior. I would like to know which would be easier and more cost effective , jegs has a built aod for like 930 bucks , plus a converter and a shifter would prob. be around 12 or 13 hundred. As for the 5 speed , thats a lot of parts , and work , any opinions?

i chose to go with a built AOD...with 4:10 gears and a 3200 stall it comes out of the hole hard!! plus i always shift my own gears with it, just with no clutch haha...still pretty fun if you ask me..

Its still fun, who wouldnt have fun driving a fast car hard, but there is nothing like slamming gears, and getting compliments on it. Plus a good powershift does wonders for taking out aggression and making a good mood feel even better!

If your worried about doing a tranny swap then just toss a built auto in it. I bought my stuff complete for $1000 (all used stuff). Bought a new shifter for $200 and went from there. Swap was not bad at all, even the pedals people said would be a pain. Also knocked probably 4 tenths off my track times, and I had a converter in the AOD!

Oh I know all about that, but then again running a stick car in a bracket race and winning is the same thing. Not to mention the fact that a stick driver is driving the car fast, the auto the car is doing it. I had an auto, and my sister could have gone faster down the track with it, because shes a lot lighter than I am. My 5-speed car I think she would have trouble merely getting it down the track!

Its all a personal thing, and Id personally run slower times, shifting gears and getting compliments on my driving (Im not that competetive when it comes to heads up racing to care) than winning the races!

To each his own!

I don't care either way about what anyone drives. I'm just defending the auto.

If one races to win and gets beaten by someone lighter in a similar car with an automatic trans, that's just the way it goes. In hockey, some people just skate faster than others. That's the way it is. :shrug:

ya , im really leaning twards the automatic just for strenght and the fact that i can never mess up shifting gears , by the way underdog , what shifter are you using with your aod? I really like the style of the b&m prostick shifter ( similar to a hurst quarter stick) , but before i buy one i would like to know how it works meaning do you push up on it to down shift , vise versa , and do you have the option of just putting it in drive when you dont want to shift.

well right now im using the stock shifter...i do whats called the 'AOD shuffle' to shift my own gears...or i can put it in drive and let it shift itself. I dont have much info on any aftermarket AOD shifters, but im sure someone on here does!