66 - 408W - what flywheel 157 or 164 toploader

hgufrin

Mar 15, 2004
Peoria, IL
Hi all,

I have absolutely no idea what flywheel to purchase for my build...

66 Mustang Toploader 4 speed, 408W, it will most likey be zero balance (not sure if this is a consideration)

I have not purchased bellhousing yet...

Can you tell me if 157 or 164? Which is better? I have not purchased the clutch yet either...

I sure would appreciate your help.

• Sponsors (?)

My recommendation is to go with a 157 billet steel that is compatible with a late model style PM starter. It will weigh less than the 164, you can use a dual friction 10.5 clutch for plenty of holding capacity, and you can drop additional weight with an inexpensive late model starter from a '92 5.0. I've just recently switched from an aluminum 157 tooth to a steel one because the alum was just too light and caused the car to "buck" at low speeds. The clutch disc has held up just fine for 3 years, although I don't drag race it.

i have a lakewood that's capable of either 157 or 164.

it's huge. i hate it.

it has a small strip of metal that has to get removed to use it as a 164 which is what i needed (11" clutch).

when i removed that strip of metal for the starter in the safety plate, it left a gap on the inside area of the starter. probably not noticeable to most everyone, but it looked stupid enough to me that i welded in a piece of material to fill that gap to hide it.

Hi I am running 157 tooth billet aluminum flywheel with Centerforce DF clutch behind my 408w. Currently running stock T5 bellhousing but plan on switching to Lakewood or Quicktime as I put my powertrain into my new Fastback.

i have a lakewood that's capable of either 157 or 164.

it's huge. i hate it.

I have a McCleod scattershield that will accommodate either a 157 or 164t flywheel as well. I think I had to "adjust" one of the headers(regular Hooker Comps) to clear the flange around the outside, but it wasn't too bad. That was six years ago, so I'll have to look again to see exactly what I did.

I have a McCleod scattershield that will accommodate either a 157 or 164t flywheel as well. I think I had to "adjust" one of the headers(regular Hooker Comps) to clear the flange around the outside, but it wasn't too bad. That was six years ago, so I'll have to look again to see exactly what I did.

did you have to do something like this?

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5201-1.jpg