69/82 (or so) I6 swap?

TazerRE

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Bellingham, WA
k, I might have the opportunity to have my friend's like 82 fox, with the 200cube I6 in it. The block in my 69 is almost fried. I know they're the same block, but how close are the two if I was to try to do a swap...

Power wise, whatever. I thought maybe I could just strip the engine out of the fox and put it in my 69, just the block and the head. will everything bolt up?

(and no, I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

• Sponsors (?)

I have thought about it. A couple of reasons, really. For one, I think I can get this fox for REALLY cheap, as in probably cheaper than rebuilding my own, and I certainly don't have the money to be putting performance parts on it. I intend to (at some point) get an 8 in a different stang to build up, so this is just my driver. Also, as it's a driver, I can't have it out of commission for too long.

And lets admit it... I'm intrigued by the idea of trying it. I just want to know what's gonna happen if I do... :shrug:

:nice:

EDIT: Okay, here's the plan I'm thinking of. Put the 82 motor in while I rebuild my 69 one... sounds better to me. now I just need to know what changes were made between the engines.

Somewhere around 69 is when they changed the starter location. The first I6s had a high mount starter, the later ones have a low mount. That creates transmission problems. They make an adaptor to hook a early 200 up to a T5 and other low mount starter transmissions. Again, I'm not exactly sure of the cross over year so it might not be a problem. The 82 head has larger intake valves but it would be a good idea to mill some off the head as they had a lower compression ratio than than earlier engines.