69 A/C blues

Pooley

Aug 19, 2007
New Orleans
My car didn't come with factory air the Vintage air does not have a kit for this car nor does Classic Auto Air. NPD on Pg 169 of there new book (huh 169 funny) has a kit for the 69 and shows a picture of it installed on a 69 (69 daily driver kit) looks great but does anyone know anything about this kit (any feedback), every one says good things about the Vintage Air brand and I'd like to get one but someone here has already posted that the universal kit is a hard install in the 69.

• Sponsors (?)

Classic has a system...
http://www.classicautoair.com/Mustang6970.asp

I've installed both Vintage and Classic. I can tell you that I will never buy or install a Vintage kit in anything again. THe install was a nightmare, the tech support was snotty. THe Classic system I just put in my project car. Way easier and looks better. I've posted on this topic before, and I have no vested interest in Classic. I just think they have a better product. Check out the link. See if that will work for you.

That kit has you cut a hole in the dash for the vent. THey have an auxillury kit for factory air cars that use the factory vents. I did'nt know anyone made an underdash unit for a 69. It would be a universal hotrod kit...seems like that would be more work...and look awful in a 69 (IMO)

Pooley, do you not want to cut the hole in the dash?

No

I was looking there and they do not have anything for the 69

Sure I will cut the dash but which kit is that? I think cutting the dash would look better than just putting a vent under it I think around 69 was when they started putting a little more good looks in to the dash

there is someone who makes a pretty nice underdash kit for the 69/70 but for the life of me i can't remember who it is. mustangs unlimited has one on their website but the picture it shows is just a generic pic of a 65-66 kit. maybe you could email or call them and have them send an actyual picture of the one they carry.

OK, I'm lost. I can't see where Pooley wants an under dash unit.

Pooley-that link I posted should take you right to the Classic Auto Air 69 and 70 Mustang direct fit kit. When I click that link, I see in large letters "1969-70 Mustang / Cougar"
Is that not what you are looking for?

maybe i'm confusing the daily driver kit he's referring to with another kit they make/made. i'm talking about the one that has an underdash unit with 2 vents on the passenger side and another (maybe 2) on the driver side, all mounted just under the dash. it's not a bad looking kit for an underdash unit but i can't find a pic online and i don't have the NPD catalog he's talking about. if i'm confusing the issue, apologies

THat's what I get for not shopping at NPD...I pulled the heating and A/C section down and they have underdash kits for every year classic Mustang! THey call it identical to the dealer installed kit. So, does that mean that if someone went to a dealer and picked out a 69 Mustang off the lot that did not have factory A/c, and wanted that car to have A/C, that this is what the dealer installed for them? Wow.
It looks like a viable system to install, but I still think it looks awful. I would still take the Classic kit over anything else...

Vintage Air

I called them and they told me that they will have a kit out in a month and to call them back in two weeks for more info and a date.

I like the looks of the classic kit with the vents cut in, its better looking than the one that I was talking about in the NPD book where the vents are under the dash on the left and right sides of the driver and passenger.

I'm gonna check out the kit from Vintage because the guy thats putting my kit in likes to use the Vintage.

Thanks for the help!

One other thing I have another post about a shaker and as I've been looking for one and other stuff I have many parts books now and I see some of the same items sold by different companies for different prices. Whats up with that? Next thing some of the things that I've gotten have been really cheap wait this is way off topic I will make a new post for this.

Pooley

Done

I talked to Vintage Air and told them what I had and as I stated before they told me to call back in 2 weeks and they had it ready for me it looks really factory there are 2 vents in the center cut in and one one the driver side and one on the Passenger side both cut in and look great I did not do the install my self so no comment on that the control panel looks very factory I do have something wrong with the controls though I have to get with the installer it seems to not be working the fan speeds correctly they go up and down without touching it and not sure yet if the heat or defroster work but the A/C is really cool like a new car.