'70 conv. Mustang Boss 351 Restoration

Solid HoRNZ

May 11, 2004
Montreal, QC
'70 conv. Mustang w/ Boss 351 Restoration

I started today to restore my paps 1970 convertible Mustang w/ Boss 351. We just striped the engine to prepare it to bring it in my garage. There wasn't alot to do, most of the parts are at my house in boxes. Anyways, I'm not in a hurry, I need an engine stand, so ... But the most important is that it is started for real. I've been waiting till I'm 5 !!! here is a copple of pics

http://www.mustangquebec.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=13
http://www.mustangquebec.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=18
http://www.mustangquebec.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=20

• Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne said:
There was no 70 model Boss 351. And the engine you have isn't one either. Just a 4 bbl 351 Cleveland.
The Boss 351 was made in '71. Still will be a nice '70 convertible. You don't see too many of them. :D You might want to check the numbers on the car to determine whether the Cleveland originally came in the car.

Good luck with the restoration.

Pay pay pay!

Like Pak says, and I can also vouch! Weatherstripping is BIG $$$$$$$$ for these cars! Just replacing the top & weatherstripping was well over $2000 on Chepie last year.

Also: Pay VERY close attention to the frame. If there is any question on the outer rails, REPLACE them! also add the export brace. I did thet, and the car was tight, no flex, and allowed the suspension modifications to really work.

Just words of experience.

If thats' a Cleveland convertible, Cool!!! Very unusual!

Oh, another thing I should say. Depending on whether you want to "restore" it to original specs, or go the "restomod" route and update or change things as you see fit, you may want to spend some time learning about the car.

For instance, that hood scoop looks non-stock to me. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's original. If you don't care, that's cool, but I think it's worth the time to find out and know for sure what's what.

What you call your own car

Just a matter of Semantics.

Try wording it next time something like: "1970 Mustang Convertible with a Boss 351 Motor swapped in later" or something like that. If you call it a Boss 351, we all think fondly of the 1971 Fastback Boss 351 Mustangs, a truly fabulous Mustang. It just clarifies the car immediately, and does not leave your car open to question.

That's all!

Solid HoRNZ said:
Oh beleave me it is a Boss 351. We made an engine swamp years ago ! And there was alot of modification done to the car when itwas still working.

And how can you say its not a Boss 351 ???
I can say it's not, because it's not. You can put a motor in the car, but that doesn't change what the car originally was. There's no such thing as a '70 Boss 351. Pardon me for being blunt, but saying that it's a '70 Boss 351 makes you sound ignorant.

If you put a chevy 350 in it, would it be a Camaro? No. The same logic applies. Get it?

It's a good motor though. And a somewhat rare car. Like I said before, sounds like a nice ride.

Good luck.

Solid HoRNZ said:
Oh beleave me it is a Boss 351....
And how can you say its not a Boss 351 ???

Actually, I CAN say that it's not a BOSS 351. :p Your third picture shows bolt-down rocker arms. If it were a BOSS, you'd have screw-in studs, guide plates, and rocker nuts, NOT bolts... ;)

Yes, it's a 351-4V, but it's NOT a Boss.

Everything seems to be a Boss or a Cobra Jet these days. Doesn't matter if it originally was or not. I don't see any guide plates in that picture.

The Boss 351 was a very specific motor and very few were made. To get one you pretty much had to get it out of a 71 Boss 351 model Mustang. Calling it Boss doesn't make it so.

Don't get upset Solid HoRNZ whatever you do. No one is ranking on you, just trying to state facts. There is a large wealth of knowledge on this board, many from people who were around at the Stangs first introduction. I do beleive that you and probably your father may have been innocently mislead or even intentionally duped, but just know that there are many urban legends in the Mustang community, even some in print that are dead wrong. Regardless of where you have gotten your info or belief from, you can pretty much trust what you read here when more than one person is backing it up.

Solid HoRNZ said:
Bah maybe it's just a modified 351 cleveland, but when it was still running, the engine was doing 490 hp at the wheels w/o power adders and can remember how much pounds of torque . So Boss or not, it's all good !!
490 HP at the rear wheels? Boy now that's a stretch , even with a 351 Cleveland 4 bbl motor. Especially with non adjustable rockers. Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but like someone else posted, you've been fed a pile of crap. Yes, a 351C 4 bbl motor is an excellant power plant, but there's absolutely now way you're going to see 490 hp at the rear wheels with bolt down, non adjustable rockers. :shrug:

Well I don't know. The dyno never lies, we'll test it.
Maybe I got scewed big time. I got told it was doing 490 AT THE ENGINE not at the wheels, sorry for that, my bad, I wasn't concentrated earlyer.
But you guy know more than me so if you can help, me I'm open for suggestions.
But for now the engine is in peaces, I'll beging by making it run.
For the Boss thing, I'm gonna call someone so he can check a few thing and straight things out.