$75 -3.55 or $189 -3.73???

jhonda

Jul 22, 2003
Huntersville NC
I have the chance to get a used 3.55 with 2000miles on them for 75 dollors, they are out of a 2005 mustang, but I have been wanting the 3.73s. Is there much differance between the two. Right now I have the stock 3.08......Opinions??
Thanks
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what you wanna do, 3.55's were great to drive in my 88, hooked up without much drama on the street, 3.73's little more touchy out of the gate, but felt better as you went along. Are you racing, or mostly driving? 3.55 better for driving, like, if it ever rains where you live. Used gears though...

Well, if you ever plan on having a superchager, do 3:55. And i'm speaking if your car is a street car like mine. Also on my '91 stang, if i was to go with 3:73's, i'd have to not only put in a speed sensor gear but a tail shaft gear as well to make the speedo read correct. Where as 3:55 all you got to do is the speedo gear. And for used gears...like everybody says. Not worth it. Just buy new.

I wouldn't buy used, unless you're just buying a whole junkyard rear-end as a full assembly. Besides, 3.73's are pretty much a good all-around gear for any car - wish I could trade my 4.10's out for a set of 'em, myself. A set of 3.55's would be a step up from stock for sure, but 3.73's will keep you plenty happy in the long run, and you'll need to add on quite a bit of motor (or boost, or nitrous) before they become too short a gear for the 1/4 mile. If you've got huge plans for the powertrain, then maybe consider the 3.55's, but otherwise ... 3.73's rule, IMO.

I wouldn't buy used, unless you're just buying a whole junkyard rear-end as a full assembly. Besides, 3.73's are pretty much a good all-around gear for any car - wish I could trade my 4.10's out for a set of 'em, myself. A set of 3.55's would be a step up from stock for sure, but 3.73's will keep you plenty happy in the long run, and you'll need to add on quite a bit of motor (or boost, or nitrous) before they become too short a gear for the 1/4 mile. If you've got huge plans for the powertrain, then maybe consider the 3.55's, but otherwise ... 3.73's rule, IMO.

Oooooh, I'll trade ya. Unless mine already are 4.10's. My X said they were 3.73's but, I dunno. :shrug: