8.8 in 01 GT upgrades, need advice

• Sponsors (?)

03-s281 said:
Stock axles and diff are 28 spline. The cover is just in case the rear explodes so you can keep all the parts in the pumkin instead of all over the starting line and pissing everybody else off when they have to wait 1hr so they can reprep the track. And its alot stronger:nice: and you can change the rear fluid by draining from the bottom.
Plus it has studs that press against the bearing caps and reinforce them.

03-s281 said:
You can go over to www.modulardepot.com and do a search on eaton and find 3-4 people that have grenaded them. I believe Bill Putnam and Bob Cosby run the TruTrac. I got the Moser axles because of there reputation for being so strong. But both are good I'm sure. TA makes 75% of the covers anyway, they are just stamped different. Moser is a TA cover.

Yeah I have read the horror stories. I have read about both types being grenaded actually. I just never got a rock solid answer about which one was stronger. It just turned into to a flame war between the different people that had grenaded both types. I am going to be ordering soon and am still a little up in the ari on this.

Yeah I think the axels are the same price between the FRPP and the moser. I will have to research the materials between them I guess.

okay so the moser is a t/a cover. mine says DTS on it. I just went T/A because it Says on MM website that it will work with thier panhard bar so no guess work on that side of things later.

SaleenGT2001 said:
are the stock axles 31 spline? and what will the reinforced cover do??

if you think about the the way the pinion spins against the ring gear it kind of makes sense. The cover has studs than add extra support to the main bearing caps to prevent them from flexing in any way. having the correct backlash maintained under extreme load will help prevent failure. Flex is what can cause breakage sometimes. same for welding the tubes the whole goal is to increase strenght and prevent flex. get all that energy moving the car forward rather than breaking parts.

when i order the detroit or eaton how will i tell them what i want?? just say the 31 spline one?? the factory ones are 28 so the 31 must be factory in the truck 8.8s? does anyone sell the complete axle and locker kit??? that way i know the parts i'm getting will be right

just tell them you want a diff for 8.8 with 31 spline axles, If you want to upgrade to 31 spline axles.

I mean you can go right to their websites and get the part numbers.

eaton posi with 31 spline

19588-010

detroit truetrac 31 spline

913A311