Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free is always a good thing....

You have a yard full of stuff just about at your disposal. That's really great !!!

Does he have a set of 87 and up coupe quarter windows out there ? I don't really need them but I'd pay good money for a set.

• Sponsors (?)

Free is always a good thing....

You have a yard full of stuff just about at your disposal. That's really great !!!

Does he have a set of 87 and up coupe quarter windows out there ? I don't really need them but I'd pay good money for a set.
Honestly, I have no idea. I'll be there tomorrow and pay some attention to that.

Reactions: 1 user
I gotta start get'n up earlier, since I (semi) retired I don't do nutton till 10, maybe lunch at 1, nap at 2:30, monitor this place in between because SOMEONE thinks I'm not do'n my job efficiently (not gonna mention any names) and reprimanded me in a pm (he is mostly right though) making me feel like a total boob (kinda fits) and, and, wait this is not the rant thread :doh:
Never mind, GO ARMY!

Reactions: 1 user
He was in the Army....he does more before 9am than the rest of us do all day.

That's what they used to say about us army guys huh Dave?

Wasn't that usually because it was stuff that was supposed to be done the previous day and the dude with the Smokey Bear hat arrived at your bedside this morning, "un-amused"? :O_o:

He was in the Army....he does more before 9am than the rest of us do all day.

That's what they used to say about us army guys huh Dave?
Though it was just a commercial, there’s a lot of truth to it.

But, I am at the salvage yard right now. I thought about which engine would I rather pull when the weather turns cold and wet, the one inside a nice sheltered building, or the one way out in a salvage yard in the mud and elements.

I got a bit of stuff off the sc engine today. I started with the intercooler and radiator. I was a little confused how to remove the intercooler tubing. The top was easy enough, a few bolts and nuts, a pry bar and pop goes the weasel.
IMG_3523.JPG

Now, that lower tube that feeds the cooled air to the intake.....:nonono: not so easy. It's attached at the intercooler, intake manifold, the power steering pump, and at the block. So, sure, four nuts and a couple capscrews and it's out of there, right?:scratch: Uhm....no.....

To remove the lower tube, the capscrew that bolts to the block needs to be removed. You can't get to it with the power steering pump in the way. It's bolted from underneath. The t-bird has settled down in the ground from sitting in one spot for so long, so no coming up to it from below.

Well, ok then, i'll just take the ps pump off and get to it......:cry:No, no I won't "just" take the ps pump off.

In order to get the pump of, you need to take the pulley off to get to the nuts holding it on. This was the most fatiguing part for me today. That pulley really wanted to stay where it was. Though, in the end, I conquered it like Conan the Barbarian.....now where's that serving wench with the mead......:cheers:
IMG_3510.JPG

As soon as I got home I used a little laquer thinner and paper towels to wipe off the lower tube. It was disgusting.
IMG_3522.JPG

I had to pull the alternator as well to get the ps bracket off. NBD there. I wonder about this alternator, is it 3G, 4G? @jrichker ?

I pulled the edis6 module off too. Other small things like the coolant overflow, wiper fluid, etc. too.

Took off the air box and what i'm guessing is the MAF?

I was going to take the a/c compressor off, but i forgot my disconnectors for the lines.

Here's what the eb looks like right now.
IMG_3515.JPG

It's kind of nice to finally see the valve covers at last.

You can count on me going to the car wash prior to putting the engine in my garage. I'll just need a couple cans of Gunk cleaner too. It's a dirty bastard.

In the end, one more trip and I'll pull the engine. I'll probably pull the sc off before yanking the engine itself as well.

Look at this pulley system, there are three separate belts with a tensioner for each one.
IMG_3508.JPG

As for the rest of today, I'm cooling off a little, drinking beer and watching college football. My son is at the OSU-TCU game, so i'm watching that for now. When I cool off a bit I'll go out to my garage to set up my new shelves and rearrange things for the sc engine. I got a bunch of stuff to get and keep organized now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Tomorrow I will go see my Scuby and get his engine out as quick as I can.

We are supposed to have cooler temps and rain for the next few days. So maybe later next week I'll finish up what it will take to pull out the sc engine.

After working in that tight eb of the t-bird I'll bet Scuby's engine bay will feel like the grand canyon!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the corner of the garage set up, new shelves and cleared out for the engine.
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG

Once put on the shelves, it looks like I hardly brought anything home from the yard!:nonono: It sure felt like more.....Why am I so tired?

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.