85 gt / swap using efi block ?? keeping carb setup

STEVEMAMAN

May 6, 2005
i can use a few minutes of advice if u have some free time. i have an 85 gt ,5 speed. engine is knocking.
i have a parts car 1995 gt with a 5.0.i bought it 2 years ago with intentions on using the motor one day.
i was planning on converting my car to a efi but am realising it will turn into a horrible project. my car now has a aftermarket electronic kind of distributor that works fine... and basically stripped of all antipolution stuff... has a nice new edlebroke carb and still has the original intake.
all the rest is original.

do you think i can take the 1995 mustang 5.0 and strip it down ,keep just the block and heads.... then use my intake and carb,headers,distributor etc... put it back in ? is it the same block and heads to receive these parts ?

2nd option : i have an old lincoln lsc 1992 with low miles but all rusted out. 5.0 ho as well.... i was trying to keep that car as i use it... but if the 1995 5.0 is not doable on my 85 gt, i will use the lsc motor if i can use the block to fit all my 85 gt parts on it and put it back in...

basically, i am looking for the easiest way to get my gt back on the road using thel 1995 gt 5.0 ho block or the lsc if i have to...

also, i want to keep the block and heads from the efi motors as my heads are shot and need full rebuild on the 85 gt .

unless someone thinks i can do the swap and keep the efi... if the 1995 gt has all that i need... i can do some work, i am well equipped... if it means i need to run a return line for fuel... i am sure in the 85 gt, there we return lines ? i have the complete car so i can take the cu,harness,all that is needed... but how do i connect the harness to my 1985 gt car ? i am not sure if it will need modifications..or a new harness.... i would love the efi in the 85 gt.... but dont want to find myself haveing to go out and spend lots of $ on parts...i have fuel pumps for efi, boschs,all the hoses... from all projects i do with other cars... but i guess i never did anyything like this..so am a little worried... easy would be the carb original setup using the 95 gt block/heads..if it fits using my complete engine accessories and would it run

please give me some advice...

• Sponsors (?)

Either motor will work, the 92 motor has forged pistons where the 95 uses hypereutectic...

strip the intake stuff off either one, swap over your accessories, ignition and intake, and call it a day.

if you want the EFI, use the 95 and swap the computer full engine harness and anything else u can over to your car. it is a lot of work but it can be done with the donor car. the 95 upper intake is less than ideal with the throttle body elbow but you could always rob the lincoln of its upper and you are good to go

Either motor will work, the 92 motor has forged pistons where the 95 uses hypereutectic...

strip the intake stuff off either one, swap over your accessories, ignition and intake, and call it a day.

if you want the EFI, use the 95 and swap the computer full engine harness and anything else u can over to your car. it is a lot of work but it can be done with the donor car. the 95 upper intake is less than ideal with the throttle body elbow but you could always rob the lincoln of its upper and you are good to go

ok... so:

i forgot to mention one important point: i have a 65 fb that is being restored as well. i will use the driveline eventually of the lsc into that car .....

so, i will strip the 95 gt engine now and use that for the 1985 gt .... keep the 85 gt carb as it is easy to fix it this way.v
one question:

will i be losing power / hp by using the new edlebroke carb and factory 85 gt intake ?

i believe it is a 600 cfm... i use some h-pipe with flowmaster mufflers..2 1/2 inch pipes...if i remember ...

is it a big gain to add a new intake instead of the original 1985 gt intake ?
is it a big gain to add headers or keep the factory headers from 1985 ?

i noticed the 1985 gt seems much less powerful the 95 gt ..... i am wondering if by making that engine carb'd , will it decrease in hp or stay the same.. using my setup... and if i upgrade the headers/ or intake or both, what is your opinion of what the outcome will be....

for one, thanks for the advice. i am definitely going to follow everyone's advice and stay carb'd....

thanks.

The '95 intake likely flows better than the stock '85 intake. The stock carb is also 575cfm, not 600. A decent intake and new carb (i wouldn't put an Edel carb on my car if it was free) will help wake it up but no one mod is going to be a big gain like getting better heads. You can put the intake and carb on, put headers on it and free flowing exhaust, but if the heads are a bottle neck then they're only going to show a hint at what they're capable with the right heads.

All that said, my car was a solid 13.50 car with the stock heads and cam, a Wieand Stealth intake and Holley 650 (which was a tad too big but i made it work), plus headers/gears/short belt etc etc. It was definitely a fun car...but just swapping on decent heads and an off the shelf cam put me into the mid 12s.

As stated above me, the 95 long block with a Weiand Stealth intake manifold and a 600cfm HOLLEY carb, aftermarket shorty headers, off-road H/X Pipe and a decent cat-back will work well, but you won't be performing much better than stock. A set of GT40 heads are not terribly expensive and combine them with a cam and some roller rockers, then you will have a boost in power that you can feel.