Suspension 88 Notch With Sn95 Disc 5lug Questions

88blknotch

Sep 22, 2013
image.jpg
image.jpg
I got a 88 notch that I'm getting ready to do a 5 lug conversion from a 95 mustang. Complete rear axle, front spindles and brakes, master cylinder with what I believe is a hydro boost. Now I know all the little extras I need to get but can some explain the hydro boost set up and if its worth doing. Read a little and I guess it goes off power steering pressure but not sure. Any replies helpful hints info ect.. Would be helpful Thanks !!

• Sponsors (?)

Installing an OEM hydroboost unit in a fox isn't the easiest of tasks. There are differences between the MC unit in 96-98 and 99+ Cobra models, so your Cobra brakes 'should' match for optimal performance. The other issue is the pedal box. You typically need a pedal box out of a hydroboost car. It's not a bolt in swap either. Apparently the 03 Cobra boxes are easier to install. e

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/109943-How-to-use-Cobra-(SN95)-pedals-in-fox

The stock steering rack and PS pump can be used. I'm not sure if you will have to modify any of the lines or not.

I took the easy, but expensive, way out and purchased a hydroboost unit from Hydratech. They make a bolt-in fox kit that uses the stock mounts and pedal box. Comes with all the necessary lines and fittings. Hydroboost was one of those things that I just 'had' to have on my car, so I went that route. If you are indifferent between vacuum and hydroboost, I'd probably skip it.

As for the rear axles, it depends on the backspacing of your wheels. You can get away with the extra 3/4" of track width if you have the right wheels. I used to never like the look of the tires right up against the fender lips, but I've come to embrace that look over the years. I don't have a choice but to like it now with my super wide IRS track width on my car...

Hopefully Mustang5L5 can chime in. He has forgotten more about Mustang brakes than I'll ever know.

Unless you have a specific reason to run the hydro boost, I'd sell it off and stick to simple vacuum booster. The MC and attached lines are unusable to you as well.

Are you sure those parts came from a 1995? Hydro boost didn't debut until 1996 on the 4.6L mustang only.

Before I continue, need to identify what specific parts you have as there are slight differences. Also, what wheels do you plan on running, and can you snap a pic of front brakes for identification?

Also, do you want to install the entire rear axle? Or just take what you need and put it into your car? If you want to swap entire axle, need to confirm its a 94-98 unit and not 99+

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'm sure now after doing some research that the hydro boost is a 96. So I can use the master that's good. The rear axle is from a junk yard were they pull the parts and is written on as a 95 mustang axle. I know with the axle I have to use specific back space wheels which I'm not worried about now cause the swap ant going to be done right away. But realized what I got with the purchased I made. But I think I can't beat all of it for $255.

Then you'll need to pick up a 94-95 GT/v6 MC with 1 1/16" bore, and a 93 cobra booster or 94-95 booster. You'll also need a matched 3-2 port conversion and adjustable prop valve.

If you got all that for $255....you did damn good.

Sweet well I'm glad I picked them up then. I guess I'll try and sell the hydro boost and go junk garden. 2 questions. We're do you get the 3-2 conversion? And the junk yard cut the rear brake lines. What should I do about those? Thanks for all the help

They cut the hard line right before it joins to the soft line on the rear axle. I currently have the 7.5 axle in the car cause its a 4cyl. But also have a stock 8.8 I can take parts off it. Would one of those work for the brake lines

Is your car an original 5.0? If so, use the lines off the 8.8. You'll need to get some adapters however. Weather head 7818 adapters from napa are what you need. Autozone sells them too, but I can't recall the size conversion off the top of my head.

Ya my parts car is original 5.0 so I can use those lines then. Thanks again for all the help. I'll Google the fittings for the lines. That saves me from crawling around in the junk yard.

I don't need the pedal assy from the 95 for the booster and mc right.?

You thread them into the soft line where it mounts to the axle. Then, you can use a drum brake 8.8 axle hard line to adapt into them. You may have to bend a loop into the hard line as they were made for longer drum brakes. Just bend easily.

Awesome that's what I thought. Well I sold the hydro for $50 so now I'll go pick up the 95 vacuum booster and mc. I shouldn't need the lines off the mc if I use the install kit from mms right.