'88 vette vs. '95 GT

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
I'm feeling pretty good, because I've been tuning a friend's 95 GT for a week, now. It was running like poop.

So I was on the autobahn without any other cars around, and the road was closed down for just me and him with an ambulance, fire truck, and air medevac staged to take care of us in case of any trouble. We were wearing headgear with the hans-device and fire retardant suits.... the whole nine-yards.

I talked to him after the race and he had a k&n filter, and some other no-power bolt-ons (high perf coil, wires, etc...). It was the L98 (or L89 or whatever) TPI (saw it on the manifold) with an auto tranny, which he said he tried letting it shift then tried shifting it himself. The 'stang has a K&N, o/r h-pipe, and flowmaster 2 chambers and 275/40/17 BFG KDWs in the back. Still 2.73 gears. I set the timing to 13*.....pretty much stock.

Saw him goose it a little getting on the 'bahn, and I followed suit. When I caught up to him, I was in 4th and he hit it; I was on it in a split second. He pulled about a door on me, and I reeled him in shutting it down at well into 4th (speedo doesn't work) with him about a car off of my back bumper. I put the brakes on so he wouldn't get any ideas about his miraculous top-end or anything. The second time we raced, it was from about 3500 in 3rd gear. I went to the top of it putting his nose at my back tire. Powershifting into 4th, I kept pulling putting another car length, maybe 2 on him to about 4700 rpm where we shut down.

We raced probably 3-4 more times with the same or better results every time. All of the races were pretty close. I'll say this though, that guy had more courage than I. He never let off before me. I let off for several hills I couldn't see over, unlighted curves (all but the slightest of them), etc... I was getting a little worried he'd do something dumb. So, I didn't push more than I was comfortable with, which is hard to do when the races are so close. Hopefully, I'm maturing a little. I was proud of that '95. I consider the SN95s boats, and love the 5.0, but it's always good to see an SBF beating up an SBC.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

They should have called the TPI 350 the TPI turd:notnice: My first ever time at the track many moons ago was in my 87GT (3.55, catback, headers) against that same year Vette, but he had a big wing and body kit on it. i had no idea how they ran so i figured I would get slammed. I sure was surprised when I pulled him by about .7!

How early? The '93 came with the LT1. Plenty of parts out there to make the modification game fun...

Chris

Ps. Your car is gorgeous. Will you come down to GA and do mine now?

FastDriver said:
How early? The '93 came with the LT1. Plenty of parts out there to make the modification game fun...

Chris

Ps. Your car is gorgeous. Will you come down to GA and do mine now?

Not sure yet, but it's stock and nowhere near my power levels.

Georgia, huh? A little far, sorry! Come up here and we'll get goin' on it!