89 Vert Tsb For Top Tearing....

89oem

Mustang Master
Dec 18, 2013
i always wondered why my top would tear if i didnt help fold it going down.

thanks to @mikestang63 i went to the robbins site since i was getting a new top...

there is a tsb 90-6-2 specifically for the 89 top...

i called the dealer and ford and they only go back 10 years....how kind of ford....they were nice and tried to help...

anyway they said motorcraftservice.com has it if you are a member....

is anyone a member? could you download the tsb for me? id like to do what it says while the top is off....

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry I don't have any info on the TSB stuff but, what part tears if you don't help it down? PO said the top was recently replaced so I'm not sure what brand it is. I've put it down without helping it fold up and the only tear I found was on the passenger side right behind the rear seat. It looks like the convertible top frame is what's tearing it there.

Sorry for the hijack

not a hijack :)

that very spot.. as the top lowers the 'liner pad' is first worn then cut then hangs and tears the vinyl top... it is precisely where the top folds out towards the trunk to clear the large frame hinge.... i recall the dealer telling me i had to pull the fold out... so i lower about 3/4 where that fold is about a foot or so above the trunk stop lowering get out check/help the fold crease and get back in and lower.... since day one!!
when i dont it tears after a while... darn expensive mistake too.....

correct. you always need to pull that fold out when you are lowering the top. If not, it will catch on the hinge part of the top frame and pinch the material, causing the pads to tear and then the top.

Glad I was able to help.

Make sure you leave the top up for at least 3-4 days before you try and lower it after install or you will have trouble getting it back up and engaged. The top needs to stretch and fit to the frame.

what i am wondering is what is in that tsb... some magic cure? a big freaking grinder? a different hinge pin? id love to put that devil to bed.. its cost me 2 tops in 25 years due to oh cra p i forgot once too often...