90 5.0 w/ Duraspark In a 63' Falcon

bagd67galaxie

Mar 31, 2006
Chatt.,TN
Title gives you the hint, so here it goes.

1963 Ford Falcon:
90' Mustang 5.0- Bcam, 650 Carb and Dual Plane Intake

The ignition is from an 85' F150 Ignition Module (duraspark), and 85' Mustang Distributor.

I got this thing running, but it acts like its out of time. I have it timed with H.O. timing; 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 ( dist. was intalled at TDC)

Do I need to go to the old model timing of; 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 - using the duraspark ?

Any idea's what Im missing ?? With the H.O. Timing; no matter how far I turn the dist. it still runs like crap.

Thanks for the help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Title gives you the hint, so here it goes.

1963 Ford Falcon:
90' Mustang 5.0- Bcam, 650 Carb and Dual Plane Intake

The ignition is from an 85' F150 Ignition Module (duraspark), and 85' Mustang Distributor.

I got this thing running, but it acts like its out of time. I have it timed with H.O. timing; 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 ( dist. was intalled at TDC)

Do I need to go to the old model timing of; 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 - using the duraspark ?

Any idea's what Im missing ?? With the H.O. Timing; no matter how far I turn the dist. it still runs like crap.

Thanks for the help in advance!

How long did you run the motor? And dizzy for a 85 won't work be cause it has a cast gear. Cast gears where out on a steel cam and cause the timeing to be all messed up. Your firing order should be the one for what ever cam your running. In your case the new style.

The ign timing is to the camshaft.. and the B303 is the 137.... firing order!! Stuffing a dizzy is cake...ONLY IF YOU HAVE DONE it before!! cool?? Go back to basics.. TDC look at there the rotor button is pointing ( dont forget it CAN show 180* out.. so turn over to TDC again..) if the button is a little off , see if you can turn the distributor body to align... if not ( and probably the issue) remove the dizzy and re stab to the correct setting.. I feel you are close ( but everyone knows .."Close doesnt count 'cetp in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons.." ) cool??

YOU are good and close.. just re check!! it will scream when right!! cool??

Just me.........................................

Thumper

How long did you run the motor? And dizzy for a 85 won't work be cause it has a cast gear. Cast gears where out on a steel cam and cause the timeing to be all messed up. Your firing order should be the one for what ever cam your running. In your case the new style.

Thanks for the advice. The dist. has a steel cam gear with same amount of teeth as the TFI unit, so Im good there.

Thumper-

I retimed it thinking that she was 180 out but,, no crank. Im thinking maybe back up a tooth off TDC. In theory the ignition module should run this motor correct?
What you think?

Thanks again,

The ign module is a good combo!! look at the module and see if it has a BLUE or Brown tab.. and your set!! The one tooth off is what I was trying to explain.. cool!! IF the dizzy wont drop in , all the way down.. turn the engine over to align the oil pump shaft and the distributor will then drop in... then run it around to TDC and check it again.. once you have done this.. it is cake... like I said though, if you ha vent it SUX>>LOL

Just me...................................

Thumper

He's fine, in 85 the engine did have a roller cam.

Sometimes the timing mark on the crank damper can be off. Find TDC by either removing a valve cover and turn the crank until both intake and exhaust rockers don't move (on cy. #1), or put a plastic stick of some sort in the spark plug hole and feel the piston go up... Or crank the engine and use your finger in the spark plug hole, you'll feel the air get pushed out...

Then put the dizzy in the hole, with the rotor pointing at #1 as indicated on the cap... :)