90mm Lightning MAF

Habu135

5 Year Member
Jan 10, 2019
California
My tuner swears the '99-'04 Lightning's 90mm MAF sensor is the best one for tuned vehicles. Other than Ebay, is there any legit place to find one? Buyer beware is the phrase of the day with that site. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

My tuner swears the '99-'04 Lightning's 90mm MAF sensor is the best one for tuned vehicles. Other than Ebay, is there any legit place to find one? Buyer beware is the phrase of the day with that site. Thanks
Stick it to the seller is the recent keyword at Flea bay. If the item is not as described, the seller is going to issue you a refund.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought a new bbk when I was in a bind for the daily driver like two years ago.. Right out the box the thing sucked terribly. the dead proM it was replacing was better in it's dead state then that bbk. I now use PMAS meters in all three of my cars and haven't had any problems but if would be more inclined to listen to your tuner if he is going to be tuning the car and what he is most comfortable with

Reactions: 1 users
Just go on a forum, lightning and cobra meters used to be a dime a dozen.
I'm willing to bet if you goto svt performance and make a wanted ad someone will give one up in no time.

The reality is that meters really aren't a perishable device. It's not that they never go bad, it's just pretty unlikely.

With that said, if that's the type of meter you are going to you, what reason would there be that you couldn't just use an SCT and buy it new?

Just go on a forum, lightning and cobra meters used to be a dime a dozen.
I'm willing to bet if you goto svt performance and make a wanted ad someone will give one up in no time.

The reality is that meters really aren't a perishable device. It's not that they never go bad, it's just pretty unlikely.

With that said, if that's the type of meter you are going to you, what reason would there be that you couldn't just use an SCT and buy it new?
My tuner is very knowledgeable and a good guy and I defer to his experience.

They never put a J58 in a car, so what do you have.?
What engine and mods are you running that you need a 90MM MAF?

Never heard of a J58? Check this out...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_&_Whitney_J58
It's not a matter of need. It's what my tuner suggested as he said the Lightning MAF is better engineered compared to my BBK one. Meaning the Lightning MAF is more cooperative when tuning.

I'm researching and leaning toward a 363 and would prefer zero drama.

My current setup is a stock block with Trick Flow H/C/I. 310 rwhp.

I've used LMAF's in a few builds and they work great, but also have used PRO M units. Not a fan of C&L or Granatelli.
Try "other" mustang message boards if you want to ensure you are getting what is described.

I though PMAS was the way to go now. It's got the added benefit of moving the AIT out of the heat soaked intake. I run a stand alone computer so I honestly don't know if they'll even work on a stock computer car.

I know you trust your tuner. Just throwing this in the mix.

I though PMAS was the way to go now. It's got the added benefit of moving the AIT out of the heat soaked intake. I run a stand alone computer so I honestly don't know if they'll even work on a stock computer car.

No, I appreciate the differing perspectives.

I believe it does work, I think the issue is that without the custom tuning the car won't run.
So regardless if you need a tune or not, you are getting one.

I believe it does work, I think the issue is that without the custom tuning the car won't run.
So regardless if you need a tune or not, you are getting one.
I'll be applying the MAF toward my next build and am slowly researching and deciding on parts now. We'll likely be feeling part shortages well through Christmas.

After three failed BBK MAFs, the C&L with stock or stock type (Delphi) electronics seemed like a much better idea. It has been a much better choice. Which is too bad as I really wanted to use BBK products.

After three failed BBK MAFs, the C&L with stock or stock type (Delphi) electronics seemed like a much better idea. It has been a much better choice. Which is too bad as I really wanted to use BBK products.
Thanks. If I can swap out the sensor alone I'm going to try that as I suspect my BBK is contributing to popping and temporary poor driveability.

Go to #7 on the surging idle checklist.

• Useful