90stang5speed Rear Mounted Turbo Project Thread

• Sponsors (?)

images

Thinking outside the box like this is how **** gets done!
One quick question. I see you say that you are using the ducting on the driver's side to remove heat. Wouldn't you want the duct to face backwards? That way, the forward facing ducting on the passenger side will pull fresh cool air in, and it will go back out the drivers side. The way you have it, I'd think it would be like when you have a sunroof and only one window down and you get that pressure buffetting..

Thanks strtrcr50. I've never earned any internets before & my wife's cat looks just like that one lol. you make a good point about the scoops but, They are both going to be forward facing. the driver's side isn't going to be connected to the passenger side though. The one on the driver's side is going to take fresh air in from the outside that will be ducted to an 8" fan on top of the box. The fan will suck in the fresh air & blow the heat out through the floor once everything is completely closed in. the Passenger side scoop is going to act like a ram air scoop & force feed cool air to the intake side of the turbo. I know that only works at speed & wont help much off the line. There will also be a filter box for street driving & a straight through tube for the track.

haters will be haters

All I have to say is good job man. Your effort is great. To the people expressing concern for safety, I can understand that. But for the people that are just negative, why do you think he cares to hear your negativity? People had alot of doubt in me when I bought my gutted roller at 12. But it runs and drives with full interior 2 years later, just ready for some body work. And judging by the skill Ive seen, this doesn't seem out of your reach. Good luck and remember this is just for fun. :nice:

Thanks. It feels like it is going to take forever to get things done. Funds have been put on hold for a while. My next step is to make templates out of cardboard to box in the bottom of the scatter shield. once I get that done, Im going to start cutting the floor up for the through floor sub frames.

I've got to hand it to you, your fabbing skills are great, man. However,my conscience will not allow me to NOT speak up on this, please keep in mind I'm NOT being negative.

As pointed out the danger of turbine failures can be quite severe. I too work on turbo machinery in a chemical plant. The company I work for had a small turbine overspeed some years back, ending in a fatality. The turbine wheel went thru the cast iron case (approx. 2 inches thick) and cut a man in half.

In retrospect, the setup here wouldn't be AS dangerous if the driver's seat weren't directly in the line of fire of the wheel should it fail. Had the turbo been turned 90 degrees, The shrapnel would radiate upward and to the sides of the car. This would still be dangerous, but nowhere near as dangerous as the current setup.

I would strongly recommend at bare minimum a 1/4 STEEL scatter sheild over the sheetmetal box.

Life is great, especially when you're still around to enjoy it. The man who died in the chemical plant is missed by his family....

Now, with doom and gloom out of the way, again, the project is cool and innovative, keep pluggin! ....And posting pics!:nice:

I do appreciate your concern for safety. This is the type of constructive criticism that can be useful. I realize what you are saying about turning the turbo 90* & how that could be a little safer. I wish I could have done that. A more skilled fabricator probably could have pulled that off. I don’t think I will ever get into an over speed issue. Not with the stock block anyway. If I lost oil feed to the turbo, I will most likely have lost oil pressure to the engine as well & will risk all kinds of parts flying from every direction. That day will truly suck if it happens. As for the thickness of the scatter shield, I’m kind of going to have to keep what I have. That’s about a 90 dollar ugly a** box sitting back there. I wanted to use 1/8 plate but had to use 1/16 as that is all Lowe’s had & it was expensive enough. I’m hoping that if the turbo were to lock up, those little razor blade size pieces of shrapnel would first have to break though the turbo itself & hopefully be slowed down enough that my scatter shield will stop the rest. I have worked on semi trucks & military equipment that is turbo charged. I have seen turbine & compressor wheels come apart but, I have never seen a turbo blow apart its housing. Not saying that it can’t happen as that guy who died would say different if he could. Thanks again & more progress will continue once more funds are available.

The concept behind this wouldnt be my first pick, but I do have to hand it to you on being able to think it up and put it into action, to not just talk about it but actually fabricate things.

Its different and I'm sure will work well, my only thing of why I wouldnt do it is because there are numerous turbo kits that will work under the hood, if you were completely cramped for space I would see. But like I said good job on putting it into action.

I agree that under the hood would have been easier with a kit. I have more space up front now than I know what to do with lol. It may take some time to complete this build but, I think that I will be able to one day meet the goals I have set for the project. thanks guys.

my under hood twins

looks good man are you driveing it now?
heres my twin turbo front set up
YouTube - ‪twin turbo mustang‬‏
I agree that under the hood would have been easier with a kit. I have more space up front now than I know what to do with lol. It may take some time to complete this build but, I think that I will be able to one day meet the goals I have set for the project. thanks guys.

In keeping with the constructive criticism, I like the idea of the side scoops, but I think something a little more aesthetically pleasing might make it seem more like it was like that from the factory rather than pieced together in the driveway. For instance (and this is just an example) if you were to graft something similar to this into the quarter:

Clean Air Scoop with Filter, Jeep, Wrangler, TJ, LJ, Rubicon, Unlimited, Cabin filter

it would look alot smoother than a sheetmetal wedge hanging off the side. Yes, that scoop is waaay too big and expensive, so I would suggest spending a little time in a salvage yard finding a car with a vent type feature that you can get two of and cutting them out. Then graft it into your body. It would be a lot easier to do that than try and smooth out the edges of the sheet metal.

I'd probably fix those quarters before I put any type of scoop on there anyway.

Just a thought, but keep up the good work. I wish I had a turbo car.

Do what U want

:nice:Hey I would love to help with the rear mount if I can. I am X STS emp and mustang guy too.
I had to skip some of the comments so I could stop banging my head against the wall.
After years of arguing with small minded people you need to just do your thing and ignore the critics.
Half of the people I was arguing with were 12 year olds eating pop tarts on the internet and didn't know anything about turbo's.
Google Dave Martis and take a look @ his car, or Atomic Motorsports in SD Calf.
I love the comment about the turbo letting go. show me ONE time in the history of turbo charging where bits of turbo exited the housing! Garrett tests the turbo's to make sure they don’t. It makes me want to use bad words.
Seriously, anything you need , let me know.
Cool set up. Now I will go back and read the rest of the "comments".

Come on man its called plane of rotation, oh nevermind thats a jet engine...... I agree and even if an impeller wheel decides to eat **** I doubt it will do through the housing, I have seen some turbo diesel engines that send pieces out the tailpipe but thats a bit different.

Thanks guys & thanks for the recommendation on the side scoop. Mike (madmike1157) recommended the classic style scoops too. I think that they would have been more pleasing to the eye but, I couldn’t find any dimensions on the opening or length. Like it was mentioned, I didn’t want the turbo to have to work to pull in air. I started with a scoop that stuck out of the car 3” but that looked pretty bad so what I did was shrink it to 2”x6” but, I sunk the front of the scoop into the body so it still has a 3” opening but, it only sticks out 2” in the front. What is shown in the pics is the functional part of the scoop. I plan to try to fiberglass some more style into them, Kind of how a hood scoop angles out at the bottom.

Loftus
I know that it has been dyno proven that a tube on the intake side of the turbo has shown to improve HP kind of like a velocity stack on an old school carb setup but, any recommendation on what might be the best diameter or length would be helpful. The turbo has a 4” inlet. My plan is to run the duct from the inlet of the turbo to the side scoop on the driver’s side. I also want to run a filter for street driving.