93to85 nose swap (venting )

carbed 85 gt

Mar 20, 2003
Honolulu HI
I am almost done with my swap of a 85 Gt nose onto my 93 Lx. All the wiring is ready to go and I have all the parts ( hood, bumper support, bumper cover, moldings,side skirts ect) but am having a problem mounting the 85 bumper support. The older cars(pre 89) have round suppports that slide into the frame and have a blot secureing them in the frame behind the radiator . The newer foxes have a short round supports and a bracket that bolts to the front of the radiator support. Now I have to make a hybrid 85/93 supports and am really getting frustrated:mad: I thinks I will weld the old ones with some material cut off to the radiator support but am not too sure. Any one have any Ideas. By the way this would be soo much easier if my car was and 89 or older.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey dude, I meant to ask how you were splicing wires, if you were soldering them? I used Posi-Locks for mine. By design they will never vibrate apart, but can be separated easily. More expensive than regular crimped things.

I am also looking for pics to offer help. If you are talking about what I think you are, I cut them off to fit. Hard to explain without pics and that's one thing I forgot to take pics of. Show us pics of where your having the problem and we may be able to offer more help.

Cliff :)

Alright guys I have it finished. Here are some of the differences Ifound.
1 Cant use 90 or newer fron bumper or supports, they stick out too far and are a differnt mount and you will have to get creative on this soulution.

2 If your car is the newer ones with the larger fender openings, the new side skirts will not fit from your donor car. (still finding a solution for this)

3 Airbag cars, thier sensors WILL interfere with the front cover. You can notch the bumper cover if you want( I am going with a tild wheel so guess that I did with them:D )

4 You will have to re wire the headlights only, just match up the wires colors, all the blinkers still use the same twist and lock set up and will twist right in.

I will post some pics now (hopefully I can figure it out)

View attachment 476650 This is the template I am making to get the supports centerd in the frame.

View attachment 476652 This is the supports the 85 is on the top, note the flange on the 93 that locates it in the frame.

Butlerpics105.jpg
Its almost done but still a lotta work to do.

:SNSign:

Attachments

• Butlerpics105.jpg
    Butlerpics105.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 84