'97 GT Vert: putting subs under the back seat... anyone ideas

GatorGT'97

Apr 16, 2004
Hey guys, my first post. I have a 97 GT very and there is abo:taco:ley no room for anything in the back. I was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of someone throwing a sub or two in the wells underneath the rear seat bench. The area is not very large so probably only a 8 inch sub could fit. I am thinking about this b/c I want to upgrade the sound system in there but I do not want to lose any trunk room (I do a lot of traveling).

:)

• Sponsors (?)

i have a 87 coupe...very different than your stang .....but in my car i couldn't fit even an 8" under the rear seat....the underside of the seat is a big hunk of foam. i've never seen it done.....but i am just thinking that putting a sub under a rear seat would be alot of restriction from the seat itself. what you could do.....i know you travel..but....where the top hides away in the trunk,the space under that has enough room to put a 10" or 2. that would be your best bet. and if you do it like this.....make sure you face the subs towards the cabin....and seal the front of the box from the rear...in a vert. you'll get the most bass that way. hope this heled..goodluck

Yeah, you would basically lose your backseat, and would just have to fiberglass in an enclosure back there. There's just no room left over in those wells when the foam is in there. Even with the foam out, they aren't that deep.

Have you seen the sub in the new Mach1000 system? If I remember correctly, they put it in the back corner of the trunk, right by the taillight. If you or someone you know can work with fiberglass, you could build a small enclosure there for a single sub.

Even in a convertible, you can get a decent setup...just have to be creative and patient.