99 cobra cooling system hole?

jpbaker22

Founding Member
Jan 27, 1999
Missouri
could someone with a 1999 cobra check something out for me?
there is a U shaped metal pipe that comes out of the front of the engine near the altinator (i belive it is forthe cooling system) there is a round piece that sits on top of it and has a diamond shaped depression in the middle. I noticed mine is rusted in the middle and has a hole that goes all the way through. it looks like the rustis making it bigger. Is that hole supposed to be there?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, that is usually referred to as the coolant crossover tube on our cars. The hole should NOT go all the way through! It looks like it corroded through - that is a good spot to add a water temperature gauge
(see link: http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/tmpsensr.html )

The depression is there so you can unbolt it with a 1/4" drive in order to refill the cooling system after flushing it (you would add coolant into this hole because it prevents "air bubbles" from entering the system).

I *think* you can purchase this cap separately now, but you might want to check with your parts department first (if they won't sell it separately, ask for the same part for the Marauder - I have read that it is an exact duplicate if you need a new one).
Or you could always look for a junked vehicle and take the cap/fitting or buy a fitting at a hardware store...g'luck.