About how much HP/torque?

baker2956

Mar 4, 2004
NY
Hey guys...ok Ive got a new motor off ebay (if you've read the thread "Good deal?" then you know which one Im talking about) and my buddy is trying to steer me away from the 331 stroker kit I was going to put in, which I agree w/ him because I will save a ton of money. However I just wanted to get an estimate from all you pros out there. Here's what I got.

The block I got of ebay:
The short block is washed and oiled, ready for the front cover, oil pan, heads, intake, etc. to be installed. The bore is 4.060, crank ground .010, decks squared, new Badger or
Silvolite pistons, Hastings rings, Federal Mogul or Engine Tech bearings, Melling oil pump and pump drive and Crane Blue Racer cam, .512 lift, 228 degrees duration @ .050", 284 adv. duration and either ARP or Pioneer 180,00 psi chrome moly rod bolts. Block has been bored and honed, rods resized/reconditioned, new bolts installed, block decked, cam degreed
and block cleaned and painted.

I'll be bolting on:
-AFR-185 heads
-Weiand Stealth Intake
-Edelbrock 600 CFM electric choke
-Edelbrock Performer fuel pump
-MSD Ignition
-Hedman Long tube headers
-2.5" h-pipe
-flowmasters
With:
-2400 stall converter on a C-4 trans(stock)
-3:55 gears
(The cooling system is all brand new, 3 row, flex-a-lite, high vol pump)

Do you guys think I need a bigger carb?
How much HP?
How much torque?

It's going ot be a daily driver, will this set up be better than the 331 stroker?

• Sponsors (?)

I think you should have gone the 331route with that combo you will probably make 330 to 350 hp the afr heads will play a big role in that if you are planning on using it as a daily driver the 600 carb should be ok. remember there is no substitute for cubic inches your combo of parts sounds pretty solid you should do well by it. good luck

I haven't officially thrown the 331 stroker idea out the window but it will save me like $1300 and that does sound good. Im not 100% sure what to do really. But I guess if I can get 350 and a good take off....I'll be happy :banana:

you just have to remember what is the purpose of your engine is. Is it maximum performance? Go with the 331. If you are wanting to just build a reliable street car then your setup will suit your needs just fine. if you want to make some more power out of your combo go with a hydralic roller. You can get away with a more radical profile and still maintain your street manners quite well. there are always little things you can do to make your combo more potent. Good luck!

no bigger carb if you get an edelbrock

the combo you have listed will make some real good power
thanks to the nice heads

of course, a 331 with that same stuff will make more horsepower
but it may not last as long; and its more expensive
it all depends on if the extra bit of torque and horsepower are worth the 1300 dollars to you

not that i really know, but my guess would be that the stroker wouldnt help that much because by then you'll start to have serious traction problems