adjusting rear coilover questions

SR-71 BLACKBIRD

Dec 2, 2007
I could use some help adjusting my rear coilovers. I have the VariShock kit from Chassisworks. I currently have 150-pound springs that are 12 inches long.

The instructions say the measured heights with the weight on the springs installed should be 15.25 inches. I'm measuring from where the shock goes into the body down to the center of the lower bolthole.

My problem is that I'm 2.5 inches off. My measured height with the springs installed is 17.75 inches. This is with 1.75 inches of preload on the spring.

I'm thinking I could go with a softer spring, but the other thing I'm worried about is the rear end bottoming out on the chassis with to soft a spring.

I have about 4 inches of clearance before my axle tube bottoms out on the stopper. I truly have about 3.25 inches before my 9 inch third member hits my anti roll bar.

My first question is how much suspension travel does your mustang have? Is 3.25 inches enough?

Next how important is it to have the coilovers at the measured height of 15.25 inches?

Here are some photos.

Thanks,

Gino

Attachments

• rear coilovers 2.jpg
    rear coilovers 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Sponsors (?)