After 2 Years Sitting, Fires Up.

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Haven't shown the notch much love over the last few years. Changed oil and oil filter, topped off the brake fluid ( it was low and not sure why) and Added auto trans fluid to power steering.

I removed the distributor and primed the oil pump. I let it turn over without the coil to see if I could hear any funky noises. Plugged the coil back in and fired it up. Still sounds awesome. Old pushrod comes to life. Ran a little rough at first. I didn't have a lot of fuel in it when I last ran it so I'm going to run half a tank though it with fresh fuel then change out the filter. Clutch is a little loose. Probably stretched a little since it was sitting a while.

Sprayed it off with a hose. Probably start sanding it while I'm waiting for some stuff for my truck.

IMG_20161115_152547912_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161115_131346837.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Clean little coupe. Rare color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if I'm going to go back to it or not. Rare but not super sexy.

You lucky dog, you.
Looks like a dependable old friend.

Yeah, even when stuff broke it always got me home. Water pump shaft broke, got it home. Smog pump seized, took belt off and got it home.

Reactions: 1 user
Im tellin' ya, the sound of a stock pushrod 5.0 is a thing of beauty. I am still in love with getting behind the wheel of the '89 I just picked up. It has me wanting to restore and upgrade around the engine/trans, but leave them be. They are dead reliable in stock form, and the sound made is so distinctive. Everyone says, I heard your car and it reminded me a of buddy, uncle, brother, etc that had one back in the day.

Im tellin' ya, the sound of a stock pushrod 5.0 is a thing of beauty. I am still in love with getting behind the wheel of the '89 I just picked up. It has me wanting to restore and upgrade around the engine/trans, but leave them be. They are dead reliable in stock form, and the sound made is so distinctive. Everyone says, I heard your car and it reminded me a of buddy, uncle, brother, etc that had one back in the day.
Ahhh, the memories! Wait, I still got one, think I'll run to the store real quick.

Thought that went without say'n.
But say'n it is half the fun:D

Haven't shown the notch much love over the last few years. Changed oil and oil filter, topped off the brake fluid ( it was low and not sure why) and Added auto trans fluid to power steering.

I removed the distributor and primed the oil pump. I let it turn over without the coil to see if I could hear any funky noises. Plugged the coil back in and fired it up. Still sounds awesome. Old pushrod comes to life. Ran a little rough at first. I didn't have a lot of fuel in it when I last ran it so I'm going to run half a tank though it with fresh fuel then change out the filter. Clutch is a little loose. Probably stretched a little since it was sitting a while.

Sprayed it off with a hose. Probably start sanding it while I'm waiting for some stuff for my truck.

IMG_20161115_152547912_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161115_131346837.jpg

Man you sure have a bunch of cool projects, looking forward to your progress on all of them

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Still working on the 56 too. It's nice to be able to go from one to another. I've missed this one. Can't believe I thought about selling it. I know it's old, loud, not really comfortable, and doesn't corner or brake like the mach 1 but it is an awesome car.

I noted that the brake fluid reservoir was pretty much empty and the power steering reservoir was pretty close to being empty. There was no fluid puddle under the car though. Where did this stuff go? It's almost comical. I'm going to pull the wheels off and check the brakes. Maybe some new seals on the rear drums. Power steering will have to get looked at later. Maybe the seal to the reservoir is leaking a little. Still, I should see the fluid go somewhere

Reactions: 1 users