Aluminum vs steel driveshaft.

• Sponsors (?)

Im sure it has to do with the type of metals used.

I know the Ford DS is 6061 RT62 Aluminum.
The Aluminum DS is also alot lighter which makes for alot less rotating mass.

Not sure what type of metal the Steel one is made out of.

Little info on the 6061-
Ultimate Tensile Strength: 45000PSI
Shear Strength: 30000PSI

More here
http://matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061T6

Id go with the Aluminum DS, I love mine.

I have saggy shocks in the bag...enough where the wider Aluminum driveshaft start making it rub on the e-brake brackets under acceleration or when there is a load in the back (passengers).

It is covered in rubber, but it makes the driveshaft look like a mess and also 'drags' along it which slows you down.

The weight is minimum. Maybe a 6lb differene or something:s Anyways, I didn't notice any difference, I think I have a pretty decent sotp's feel as well.

The Alum DS is about .5" greater in diameter, IIRC.

Remember too that in terms of anticipating a SOTP gain, the alum piece, though lighter, has mass where none existed with the stocker (ergo a slight offset due to a shifted Moment).

HISSIN50 said:

Remember too that in terms of anticipating a SOTP gain, the alum piece, though lighter, has mass where none existed with the stocker (ergo a slight offset due to a shifted Moment).
are you saying that the gain of weight saved is nixxed by the increased tangential speed from a larger radius?

ahhhhh here we go again. I too would think that the perceived benefits of the lower moment of inertia of the aluminum drive shaft would in fact be somewhat offset by the increased cross-sectional diameter and area of the aluminum---right on HISSIN50.

This is total theory here:

The bennifit to aluminum is the weight reduction. However, since aluminum is a weaker material the wall stock needs to be increased as well as the diameter of the tube to compinsate for the drawbacks.

The steel shaft does weigh a bit more, but it's also smaller in diameter so it requires more power to keep it rotating [inertia.] This means that most steel shafts can form a 'whip' in the middle from it's small diameter. This results in vibrations at speed that can really mess up the drive line....

No SOTP will be noticed. But there could be some slight MPG improvements on the highway due to the greater inertia of the aluminum shaft

HISSIN50 said:

Ohhh...very well put. :nice:

5spd GT said:
bock - Then it's not your driveshaft if it is "not in gear"...

why you say that? I had the same problem even when it wasnt in gear, new DS fixed that problem. The DS is still turning even when not in gear...as long as the car is rolling the DS is turning just not with as much direct inertia.