Another "Will this work?" thread

Repostyle

Jun 11, 2005
Portland, OR
I already destroyed my t-5 after the swap... I didn't replace the input shaft bearing and it chewed up 1st, 2nd and reverse.

Anyway, I can buy a jy trans for $500 which is obviously used, or have a buddy that works at a trans shop rebuild mine for around $600 in parts, but I don't really have the cash to spend on the rebuild right now.

I have a 93 S-10 with a 2.5L 4 banger that i'm pretty sure has a t-5. So here is the question. Is it the same? It's worth the work to R and R since I already own it. I'm just not 100 percent sure it's the same. Anybody know?

Or option 4, could I just use the internals from the S-10 in my t-5 case if the case is different like bolt holes to the bell housing or crossmember, etc.

*Edit: Oops! Mods please move this to tech. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

No it's not. But I think I know your next question. I really don't want to wait and spend the money for a new one when I can get good as new with a rebuilt, the question is just which one to rebuild the s-10 or the one I just pulled. The S-10 would just be syncro's and bearings and such, while the one I just pulled would also need gears, possibly even more than that.

Well you should spend the money and do it right the this time around, you skimped out the last time and here you are rebuilding the trans again

guy at my work rebuilds t5's on the side for 3 hours labor. i can't fathom him asking more then $50 an hour. he has done a bunch of t5's.

i think rebuild kits are fairly cheap, im up here in olympia. if it would be worth the drive for you, i can put you in contact with him?

guy at my work rebuilds t5's on the side for 3 hours labor. i can't fathom him asking more then $50 an hour. he has done a bunch of t5's.

i think rebuild kits are fairly cheap, im up here in olympia. if it would be worth the drive for you, i can put you in contact with him?

Yeah, a rebuild kit is about 130.00 through my guy here and he's not charging any labor, but it also needs gears at about $100 each and a few other things not included in the kit.

they are different. the only common thing between your V8 T5 and the one in the S-10 is the center case. Tail shaft is different, inputshaft spline count and length is different. gear ratio's are different. shifter is neat the front of the tailshaft housing vs. the rear on a fox. Could you make it work, yes. would it be worth it... Not a snowball's chance in hell....

they are different. the only common thing between your V8 T5 and the one in the S-10 is the center case. Tail shaft is different, inputshaft spline count and length is different. gear ratio's are different. shifter is neat the front of the tailshaft housing vs. the rear on a fox. Could you make it work, yes. would it be worth it... Not a snowball's chance in hell....

Took the words out of my mouth.

Way to many different parts.

That answers my question, just not the one I wanted to hear :D

I thought some things were different just based on a quick look under the truck. But I was pretty sure I heard somewhere they were the same.

Looks like I'll be rebuilding my current one.