Any auto trannies in here?

A torque converter would really help you get into the power band. The stock torque converter is a bit tight and difficult to get into boost in the first 60'. However, the stock converter is probably a good match for street tires which will be a bit traction limited anyway.

On my auto with nittos, I do a nice long burn out. Then, I stall to around 2100. When the thrid yellow comes on, I nail the gas, activating the 45 shot. Just a moment after leaving the line, 21psi of boost kicks in and gets me moving. That gives a 1.7-1.8 60'. If I'm on my game, I remember to shift at ~5500, and cruise to 12.20's-.30's.

• Sponsors (?)

first of all yank that 4r70 out they were junk from the gate
rip it apart ...new clutches ,planetaries and all that good crap

when ford first used the 4r70 everybody thought they shifted great and they were right they do shift nice .....but thats just it nice only goes so far....after awhile they start acting sluggish even with regular maintanance

my advice would be rebuild it put all new guts in it and at least a 3500 stall
thats if your actually draggin it but if your pissing around with those little uncle ben mobiles i wouldnt go that high your just gonna f@$% it up anyway

when ford first used the 4r70 everybody thought they shifted great and they were right they do shift nice .....but thats just it nice only goes so far....after awhile they start acting sluggish even with regular maintenance

thats if your actually draggin it but if your pissing around with those little uncle ben mobiles i wouldnt go that high your just gonna f@$% it up anyway

Yep +1! My stock 4R70W only lasted three years and I got it rebuilt good. They don't like heat and it killed mine so i got the HD tranny cooler. I have heard that 2400 is a good stall for a DD.

my trans is original and never rebuilt. if you take care of it with regular flushes and don't drive it like a mad man all the time, it will last. 100,000 on the car now. it's a 2000 model. i'm not saying i drive mine great but i do my best.

when ford first used the 4r70 everybody thought they shifted great and they were right they do shift nice .....but thats just it nice only goes so far....after awhile they start acting sluggish even with regular maintanance

Yep +1! My stock 4R70W only lasted three years and I got it rebuilt good. They don't like heat and it killed mine so i got the HD tranny cooler. I have heard that 2400 is a good stall for a DD.

i have to disagree with both of you. my 4R70W is 10 years old and works just as good as the day i bought the car. i've got probably 100 1/4mi runs and ~400rwhp with only the J mod and cooler as trans mods. it runs perfectly still. if you have problems, it's probably from improper use, like neutral drops or down shifting, or bad maintenance.

i have to disagree with both of you. my 4R70W is 10 years old and works just as good as the day i bought the car. i've got probably 100 1/4mi runs and ~400rwhp with only the J mod and cooler as trans mods. it runs perfectly still. if you have problems, it's probably from improper use, like neutral drops or down shifting, or bad maintenance.

I agree with you as well. The other two guys are out to lunch. Ford has done several updates through the years and made it into a good reliable transmission. I've probable got 100 runs on mine too and it works great. The j-mod is a good idea to impove the shifts, and a cooler for insurance. I wouldn't use a shift kit though. If you search threads you'll find failures with shift kits.

Well I changed the fluid every 20k miles and didn't beat the heck out of it all the time but the only thing I can think of is the hypertech transmission shift firmness making too much line pressure ... or from rocking it in the winter and no aftermarket tranny cooler :nono: Either way it blew good - bent fan blades in the torque converter, broke the clutches etc. It wasn't immediate... I noticed the tranny getting rough and then she started slipping several weeks later.