Any lifters in here?

• Sponsors (?)

I usually dont go to failure. Only time I do is if it is a cool down after a 1 rep max. In other words, if I get a new one rep max, I go back to my warm up weight and rep it til I can't no more.

o yea, I'm 5'8 180ish with those lifts, lookin to drop to 170 while keeping those lifts.

I go to momentary muscular failure on any set I do. I feel that when your blood is pumping and your forcing those muscles to perform very hard work that it doesnt wanna do, your gonna get stronger and bigger. Those last reps on any set are the ones that count. I feel that if you dont go to failure your really jus pumping up and not shocking your muscles. But as they say, whatever works for the individual. I love fighting out those last few as my arms are shaking. Noticed most gains working out like that. my 2 cents

not a big sqatter here , never really do leg exercises either . I do run a lot which keeps the legs in shape , plus played a lot of football growin up which helped out . I just recently started gettin strict with my diet last couple years since makin the SWAT team . We have fitness evaluations every 3 mos and they are pretty stringent , our body fat has to be within a certain percentage . Plus our commander is big on running , he does marathons and ironmans and stuff so every training were doin atleast 4-5 miles .

not to phag off or anything but lets see some pics of you big mooks! I'll share a couple , took these on my camera phone , my wife and I send pics back and forth because I work 24 hr shifts and am gone a lot .

phone1004.jpg

phone1003.jpg

I started lifting freshman year in college and have not stopped since, so i have been going for about 8 years now. I am 6 feet, weigh 160 pounds and have 4.5% body fat ;) My peak bench was 225. I hurt my shoulder and ever since then the bench weight has been down some. I used to squat but don't anymore because i screwed up my neck. I do the plate loaded machine where you lay on your back and I usually put 16 or 18 plates on (8 or 9, 45's on each side). As for dumb bell curls, my peak is 60's for a few reps. Not amazing numbers but not bad for my size.

Just as a side note, did anyone happen to catch the 2006 strong man competetion? An American (Phil Pfister) finally won!

I am just getting back into lifting after about a 12 month lay off. About a year ago I had a minor disc injury in my neck while benching, and while I still tried to work out light I had to get physical therapy to avoid surgery. When I got hurt my best bench press was 360. At a bench your body weight contest I did 221 for 21 reps. My friend won it when he did 202 for 28 reps. After about 3 months now Im benching 240 for 12 reps. I dont squat or deadlift anymore because of my neck and I do all cable work for the other exercises to keep the stress off my neck. Im 35 years old, 6'2" 215 lbs and Im on my way back into shape. My goal for now is to weigh 225 while keeping the same waist size and bench 250 for 15 reps again. I will never max out on my bench again and always use perfect from now.I hurt my neck using sloppy form and it cost me far more than anything I ever gained.

I started lifting freshman year in college and have not stopped since, so i have been going for about 8 years now. I am 6 feet, weigh 160 pounds and have 4.5% body fat ;) My peak bench was 225. I hurt my shoulder and ever since then the bench weight has been down some. I used to squat but don't anymore because i screwed up my neck. I do the plate loaded machine where you lay on your back and I usually put 16 or 18 plates on (8 or 9, 45's on each side). As for dumb bell curls, my peak is 60's for a few reps. Not amazing numbers but not bad for my size.

Just as a side note, did anyone happen to catch the 2006 strong man competetion? An American (Phil Pfister) finally won!

I heard about the Strong Man, that's awesome. Didn't catch it though. I'd like to see it.

4.5% is pretty amazing of a number for someone not preparing to hit the bodybuilding stage!

A buddy of mine is 201lbs about 6-7BF% and like 5-10ish... needless to say thats what I'm striving for over the next couple years (maybe not the 5-10 part, figure 185lbs 7-8bf% at my height would be perfect lol)

I'm a new found LOVER of squats. Way to many people feel it only works the legs so they immediately hit the leg machines (leg press comes to mind...). But I found my upper body noticed incredible gains once I started squating (a person who hasnt seen me since the summer accused me of juicin haha). Just to give a heads up to those that don't know, squats and other large compound lifts (like bench, squats, deadlifts, power cleans are the big 4 compund lifts) makes your body naturally produce more testoserone and growth hormones, which is a HUGE plus for gettin bigger and stronger.

I played soccer for 6 years, joined the military, was always in decent shape. Had back surgery (fused L4 & L5 together and have 2 rods and 4 screws holding everything together) Got out of the military.. couldnt do much of anything for a long time. lost my abs, my upper body strength sucks at the moment.

Started using dumbells and doing alot of pushups, and running alot, but it started making my lower back sore as hell. I want to drop a few on my gut, get my arms and chest bigger and get my abs back.. anyone know any good routines for someone with a gimp lower back?

I would suggest anything without heavy core use - no DL or variants, no squats or variants, no hyperextensioners, Good Mornings, lunges, etc. Hanging knee/trunk curls and leg raises might be your best bet for ab work, as it eliminates cheating as much as you really can on ab work and therefore will save your back. Be sure to be strict and to NOT use momentum to get your reps. It's not worth risking aggrevating your back, and won't do anything for muscle growth.

I would suggest anything without heavy core use - no DL or variants, no squats or variants, no hyperextensioners, Good Mornings, lunges, etc. Hanging knee/trunk curls and leg raises might be your best bet for ab work, as it eliminates cheating as much as you really can on ab work and therefore will save your back. Be sure to be strict and to NOT use momentum to get your reps. It's not worth risking aggrevating your back, and won't do anything for muscle growth.

Thats exactly what im trying to avoid. I dont want to have to go through another surgery because of something self induced.

howdy.. Im back after vacation!!! FBD im in the same boat tho - well sort of, im in the "i want abs" boat. its my new years resolution.. other then hanging knee raises and such i dont know how i can work my abs more.. i guess ill just work abs into an every day routine?

howdy.. Im back after vacation!!! FBD im in the same boat tho - well sort of, im in the "i want abs" boat. its my new years resolution.. other then hanging knee raises and such i dont know how i can work my abs more.. i guess ill just work abs into an every day routine?

This is something i heard from a friend of mine. He said to get one of those big yoga balls, lean against it and do your crunches on there. Something about balancing yourself on there and doing crunches at the same time work them out more. I dont know from personal experience though. (looks at gut) obviously :rolleyes:

It's all going to be fruitless if you aren't eating with proper nutrition for your endeavors.

But my favorite ab work is one day weighted (machines, knee lifts, decline crunches, etc.) including supersets, drop sets, and so on, followed a couple days later with unweighted/high rep work.

Squatting helps build nice, thick abs too, but that's out for you non-squatters.

This easy hanging ab routine will smoke you easily:

All are 1 set, all are 6-8 reps each. The trick is to use your ABS to do the work and not momentum. These WILL humble you, but they'll also build some killer ab strength and add some size. It's worse if you have big/heavy legs to lift, of course. And by worse, I mean better ;)

It's tough to cheat too, which is awesome. Best of all, once your abs are done...they're done. No searing pain throughout reps, it's just nice and easy to get through it and then you're just smoked. I love it, because I usually hate working abs if it isn't heavy.

1. trunk curls (knees to face, curling lower abs/trunk and NOT just your hip flexors)
2. half-range (from bar to halfway down) alternating leg raises (hold one foot to the bar, lower the other. then alternate slowly)
3. full-range leg raises (hang from the bar fully extended, lift to touch the bar and go back down. repeat)
4. split raises (hang fully extended, touch feet to bar. pause, and spread your legs as far as you can along the bar. Bring them back to touch each other, then repeat.

This is something i heard from a friend of mine. He said to get one of those big yoga balls, lean against it and do your crunches on there. Something about balancing yourself on there and doing crunches at the same time work them out more. I dont know from personal experience though. (looks at gut) obviously :rolleyes:

Swiss Balls are awesome IF you know how to use them correctly. Many don't. But if you are really good with ensuring proper form and being strict, they're completely unnecessary. Not to say they aren't useful, just that you can mimic what they do for you in other fashion.

BTW - they're also good sex props :lol: