Any lifters in here?

mansonozz - "Bodybuilding is my art; it's so much more to some of us than just lifting weights." - Amen brother!

your short bio sounds great! You are much more into the minute details of the sport than I am; ie. nutrition and training. I am looked at by some as being a little obsessed with my body but you are on a whole nother level than I am! And don't by any means take that in a bad way. I think it is a great thing to be so involved in something and I know exactly how you feel about the sport and your body.

I'm pretty modest so I feel kind of weird putting a picture of myself up on the internet, but let's just put everything to rest. 4.5%, 9%, 15%, whatever, I'm a skinny dude! The pics are horrible quality but it's the best I could do. I'm really just naturally very skinny. I don't even do abs that much!

Abs are just a muscle covered with fat. We've all got 'em, and it just takes being real lean to show off a killer set. Sure working them will add size and such (some have smaller abs than others, some have more of a split between them all, etc.) but it all comes down to bodyfat.

You're definitely ripped to shreds, that's for sure! I'd say 6% easy, maybe less. Tough to tell as the usual telltale areas are unseen in the pics. But like you said it doesn't matter - and I obviously (hopefully it was apparent!) didn't mean to bring you down at all. Just sayin'...

I definitely take comments like that as a compliment :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

My best advice is follow two simple trains of thought and you'll be miles ahead of the other guy.....first....eat to live, don't live to eat. Second is...when it comes to training, no matter your level, go in thinking and saying I GET to go to the gym today! not I HAVE to go. Mental portion is huge for continued success.

I've been lifting since my junior year in high school (I'm a junior in college now). I try lifting as much as possible but once I'm in school I have a hard time making time for the gym. I made sure to take a weights class but that is only twice a week for an hour. Engineering isn't very condusive to going to the gym. I'm 21, weigh 200lbs, my bench max is 200lbs and I don't squat anymore since it doesn't seem to agree with my back. I'd like to tone up a lot more and I know that the best way for me to do that would be to eat better and run more than I do. I like food and that along with a crap metabolism don't help me much. I really need to set up a decent diet (at least I hardly ever eat fast food) though. I also need to set up a routine since I haven't gotten around to actually writting my progress down and keeping up with it. Hey masonozz, do you think you would be able to help me set up a routine? :shrug:

Of course. Gotta give me more ability to get something done than 2x a week for an hour though! ;)

Walking will do great for you as well, don't think that only running will keep you lean. Matter of fact it's most likely going to be better (along with a good diet and a few times per week lifting schedule) for you as far as metabolizing fat without sacrificing lots of lean mass.

Running tends to do that to people who aren't genetic freaks in that respect (usually the real lean ones can get away with it), but on the flipside is - very often - they in turn have a real hard time putting on serious thickness and mass. My workout partner has this problem, he's perpetually very lean and has a great build and physique, but as of right now hasn't been and isn't putting what it'd take to get his frame full of thickness. What's worse is he really wants to, but thinks he can get away without some real tough focus :bang: :shrug: But I realize obviously not everyone wants to be Frank Zane, and that's fine, so whatever your goals are it'll be possible to reach as long as you put some effort into it :) That's what I love about the sport, not much can really hold you back unless you're just not a lucky dude!

As far as squatting goes, back problems are very often a result of bad form. I wish I could train you in person to negate that fact, but... there's squat variations that you can do really well, and I know some tricks to make the leg press machine into a device from hell to really pack on some leg density.

Hey guys - anyone who wants to read up a bit on some beginner routines and get some basic info down, I just ran across this nice post on our website (a group of my friends originally created it for us to have our own place on the 'net for getting together and keeping info, etc.) about it:

http://www.clutchfitness.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PN=1

Search around, there's also lots of great info and some logged training journals so you can see how people do things. I personally keep logs of everything I do except my exact diet, but I think I posted up what it currently is for fat burning. Just gotta dig it up in my journal somewhere. My name over there is the same as here, btw.

There are tons of other sites like that too of course, this is just ours :) A couple SN'ers are there already, which is real cool.

Good reading.....I have seen that before but reread it to keep a few points fresh in my head!

I would (and have already) recomend that site to anyone looking to better your body, health and hypertrophy. Smart guys with real plans for fitness.

On a side note is anyone already frustrated with the New Year Newbs at the gym, thank God they will be thinning out in a week or so.

You can do both at the same time but a) not always, b) it's hit or miss, c) you'll want to quit and pick one or the other quickly!

Regarding gaining/leaning out first, pick what you're comfy with. If you're carrying too much fat as it is, you'll more than likely want to cut down first. If you can deal with a little padding and just want to get bigger (bodybuilding to me is art; right here you'd be building up the clay) and cut down later (sculpt it out).

I am currently, and loving, carb cycling. It's brutal on some days but the results are phenomenal and, IMO, worth it. Some people can't take it, thankfully I can.
It was recommended to me by some competitors and with it I've earned my best physique ever, lost no noticable lean body mass ("LBM", aka muscle ;) ), and cut 4" from my waist. And I wasn't fat to begin with, so it wasn't the "first of many" pounds to go, as they say.

PM me for some personal guidance if you want. give me your stats, experience, goals (reasonable, don't say you want to get huge and ripped as fast as possible...) and so forth. Also consider foods that are basically grains, meat and veggies, and tell me what from those groups you do NOT like. I'll try to come up with a plan for you going along w/that.

mansonozz,
I had no clue you were such a guru. I am 5' 10", 228lbs and have been lifting for about 9 years. I have benched 425, I only squat occasionally and ussually hit 405 ass to grass for a few sets of 5, and I started deading again a month ago and have worked myself up to sets of 5 w/500lbs. I am in the military, and I have to go to a DOE hi intensity course in a few weeks, but when I get back I would like to get on a decently clean bulk diet. I eat 5-7 meals a day and basically stick with beef and a carb source for a whole food meals. I would definately be interested in some guidance on diet if you are willing. Let me know

absolutely! You sound like a brute so that should be easy :nice: If you're more of the 'powerlifter' build (not counting people like Pudzianowski, hehe) we can keep you strong and cut you down too.

500 is my upcoming DL goal. I've rack pulled 660 so I think I'm going to be able to pull it. Here's hoping. After that, 600 :) Hoping to do so staying lean and under 200, too, then go from there to get back above it.

I don't often get into it much out of my bodybuilding site, mostly because these threads quickly get bombarded with myths, bad info, and overly casual information that doesn't become of much benefit. I hate to come in and start arguing with people.

I used to lift on and off in high school... I'm 27 now and only got into it for real about 3 years ago.. I'm 5'9 and i was 145 when I started , now i'm 192. Added whey protein shakes to my diet and started eating a whole lot more. Bench, squats, curl, shoulder press all went thru the roof....

absolutely! You sound like a brute so that should be easy :nice: If you're more of the 'powerlifter' build (not counting people like Pudzianowski, hehe) we can keep you strong and cut you down too.

500 is my upcoming DL goal. I've rack pulled 660 so I think I'm going to be able to pull it. Here's hoping. After that, 600 :) Hoping to do so staying lean and under 200, too, then go from there to get back above it.

I don't often get into it much out of my bodybuilding site, mostly because these threads quickly get bombarded with myths, bad info, and overly casual information that doesn't become of much benefit. I hate to come in and start arguing with people.

I very much have a bodybuilding physique, because most of my training is heavy bodybuilding type, with a few monthes of powerbuilding every year. I would like to try and get up to about 235, and then cut it down to about 220 for the summer. I am not one of those guys who really cares about a six pack, but at 225 I still have a flat stomach, until I get a few meals and a gallon or so of water in me. I lift because I truly love to get in there and challenge the weight every set and every rep. I tried the Westside Barbell training split, and after a few months I just did not like the changes in my physique. What is your height/weight? I don't care what anyone weighs, if you can pick up 500lbs off the floor with your bare hands you are pretty strong. I thinnk I am going to deadlift a couple of times a week, and enter a deadlift comp in 6mos-1yr.

That'd be awesome. I just got done cutting down to 190. I'm 5'10". Began a few years ago at 155, been up to 210 before and then started focusing more on symmetry and proportions.

mansonozz - Keep up the good work with yourself and your car! I just looked closely at the small pic next to your name. The engine looks nice! And if you ever do decide to go into competetion, good luck!

TheUser - Yeah, my forearms have always been a proportionately larger part of my body. Gotta have a good grip! However, the picture is a tad deceiving because it shades out a bit of my tricep so my forearm looks proportionately bigger in that picture.