Any sites that can help me about audio?

RedHot91GT

Jan 24, 2003
Surprise, AZ
Does anyone know a good site that will teach me about audio/sound systems. I would really like to understand this stuff. I know a bit, but as far as being safe and knowing percisely what to do. EX. I have this amp that I started another thread with. I think it has 4 rca's(it looks like a front L & R and a rear L & R) my question is will I be able to just hook up any old H/U up to it, or will I need to get an adapter or something because I always thought H/U's only had 2 rca's. Maybe Im confused. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You can add any HU if it has two RCA or 4 RCA outputs. If it only has two you can get a "Y Splitter" at Radio shack. Put one in the R side then put the two leads from the Y splitter into channel 1+2, Then take the other Y and put it into the L side and connect to 3+4. I can take a picture of mine as that is what I did.
For car audio here are two great sites.

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/index.php?

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/index.php
Good luck
Jon

Bloomy316 said:

Awesome site!!

As for caraudio.com, you can go there, a lot of people who are new to car audio frequent there, but you also run into a lot of bad info on there. Some really good sites are Elite, like was mentioned, SSaudio.com forums, and soundillusions.net. You will find a wealth of info and people are of the utmost knowledge.

As far as the amp is concerned, the majority of 4-channel amps can get by with only 1 set of inputs. Some are discrete and need the 4, but majority do not. What amplifier is it? Some more details could help.

Its a phoenix gold sapphire series sa1.5x. Im pretty sure Its 5 channel but i dont know the terms too good. Doesnt that basically mean 5 speakers. (i know dummy terms) The amp has 2 fronts - and + left and right, 2 rears - and + both left and right, and then it has 1 sub - and +. Does that make it a 5 channel?

RedHot91GT said:
Its a phoenix gold sapphire series sa1.5x. Im pretty sure Its 5 channel but i dont know the terms too good. Doesnt that basically mean 5 speakers. (i know dummy terms) The amp has 2 fronts - and + left and right, 2 rears - and + both left and right, and then it has 1 sub - and +. Does that make it a 5 channel?

Yes that amp is 5 channel. And it was made at a time when Phoenix Gold was making high end gear. It can be used in several different configurations. As I mentioned before, I would suggest using it in 3 channel mode in a vehicle such as a Mustang. To do that the front 4 channels can be bridged to 2 channels to power your "main" speakers. The sub channel is a mono channel, strictly for using with a sub.

Bloomy316 said:
Yes that amp is 5 channel. And it was made at a time when Phoenix Gold was making high end gear. It can be used in several different configurations. As I mentioned before, I would suggest using it in 3 channel mode in a vehicle such as a Mustang. To do that the front 4 channels can be bridged to 2 channels to power your "main" speakers. The sub channel is a mono channel, strictly for using with a sub.

PG still makes high end gear. The only exception to that may be the Octane R series which is made in conjunction with another not so high end company, but they are still rock-solid performers none-the-less. Their most recent offerings of the Titanium and Tantrum lines are proven performers for excellent value also. The new Xenon line seems to be just as promising if not more.