Anybody have the FRPP catback?

Ottomatic

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2001
Southern IL
...the M5230M51 system. Hows the quality? Are the mufflers clamped in or welded? I love the fact that its all stainless and has three inch tips, but I'm not sold on the mufflers that come with it. If some borla xs or dynomax ultraflo mufflers will sub right in with no cutting, I'll be all over this kit.

• Sponsors (?)

Ottomatic said:
...the M5230M51 system. Hows the quality? Are the mufflers clamped in or welded? I love the fact that its all stainless and has three inch tips, but I'm not sold on the mufflers that come with it. If some borla xs or dynomax ultraflo mufflers will sub right in with no cutting, I'll be all over this kit.

I've got one on my 2002...quality is basically "OEM" (it's made by Arvin-Meritor, who makes the stock catback). I really like it.

Mufflers are welded in though, so you'd have to cut them off to replace.

But have you heard the sound of the catback? It's quite nice (very deep/gurgly when crusing, and pleasingly loud when you open her up) though if you're thinking Dynomax then it might not be loud enough for you.

Except for being a little on the quiet side at idle with my catted X, I like this kit very much. I think that video :lol: was the deciding factor for me getting this kit over the Bassani Bx. Sounds great from the outside and defeniately feel and SOTP over the stock catback. Because it comes in only 2 pieces, it sucks to install. It make it harder to get over the axle even when dropped. I had to unbolt the bottom bolt on the rear shocks and the UCA bolt where it attaches to the rear end to gain the space I needed to get it over axle. Easy and quick to do though, once I figured what I needed to do.

Here's a close up of what the tips look like incase you haven't seen it on the other FRPP threads.

523851_6_full.jpg

LI98GTStang said:
Here's a close up of what the tips look like incase you haven't seen it on the other FRPP threads.
Your car is what first turned me onto this setup. Looks nice!

bigconig: That vid... :drool:

To quote GEF "GIVES APPROX. 7% MORE AIRFLOW THAN STOCK." My only concern was the performance gains...but if SOTP gains can be felt, it must be getting the job done. Thanks guys.

I am trying to get the time and get the PI intake installed this weekend. If I'm sucessful, then I'll be going to a dyno day that will document the PI intake and FRPP catback combo gains. It's one thing for me to say that there was some SOTP gains and another for it to show up on the dyno or the track.

:nice: I have the FRPP cat-back too and really like it. The quality is spot on and sounds great too. It's nice deep and loud but, not attention drawing loud. bigconig's video is what turned me on to the FRPP cat-back also. For the price the setup can't be beat.

BDaddyK said:
:nice: I have the FRPP cat-back too and really like it. The quality is spot on and sounds great too. It's nice deep and loud but, not attention drawing loud. bigconig's video is what turned me on to the FRPP cat-back also. For the price the setup can't be beat.
you should dyno now to see what it gave you:)
How are the bends going around the rear axel? The stock catback is pinched down quite a bit going over the axel and was wondering how the loop looks on the FRPP catback

-wade

wms004 said:
you should dyno now to see what it gave you:)
How are the bends going around the rear axel? The stock catback is pinched down quite a bit going over the axel and was wondering how the loop looks on the FRPP catback

-wade

I know I should dyno again to see what it gave me. Hell even if it only gave me 5~10 hp for the price of the system I'd be happy :) The bends around the axle are great compared to stock. It's mandrel bent as opposed to the crush bent stock exhaust so the piping is all the same diameter (2.5") through out :nice:

Sorry for digging up this old thread, But I am in the market for an affordable cat-back on my 94 and the links in this message aren't working. Can you please either re-post the vids or any new sound files (preferable with no cats if you have them) or you can email them to me (IM me for the email addy).

Thanks so Much!

Ottomatic said:

I must be the only one that hated it, but even my Borla Stingers were too quiet. Much prefer my SS O/R X-pipe, SS cat-back with Dynomax Race Bullets. :uzi:

94-302-vert said:
Sorry for digging up this old thread, But I am in the market for an affordable cat-back on my 94 and the links in this message aren't working. Can you please either re-post the vids or any new sound files (preferable with no cats if you have them) or you can email them to me (IM me for the email addy).

Thanks so Much!

Boy this thread is old. I added soundclips in my sig if that will help. It was recorded on a iPAQ that has one of those tiny built-in mics made for speaking into, but it's not too bad and an OK representation. Oh yeah, my midpipe does have cats.