Anyone ever upgrade from a stock cluster to a GT cluster?

NEFaurora

Dec 26, 2009
Anyone ever upgrade from a stock cluster to a GT cluster?

I would assume that you would need the switches in the center console as well..

Has anyone ever done this?

I'm wondering if the standard mustang uses a different computer than the GT..

Some V6's also came with the GT cluster as an option.. I guess the whole setup came with the Shaker 1000 package, but could be wrong..

I haven't seen a V6 yet with the GT cluster that didn't have the Shaker 1000 also..

Anyone know??

Someday, This will be one of the #1 mods in the future..

Tony K.

• Sponsors (?)

It is part of the Interior Upgrade Package and was available on V6 and GT models.
Some 2005 models without the package had the wiring for the cluster and could relatively easily be upgraded. I don't think that is the case now making it much more difficult to do.
It is much cheaper also to order the car with the package.

"It is much cheaper also to order the car with the package." That's not an option here....lol.... ;)

I have a real nice 2007 V6 Convertible....

I would love to upgrade to the GT Cluster someday... I can actually get my hands on a GT cluster, but I have no idea what else is involved as far as wiring goes... Not that I hate the standard cluster.. I just like the extra Battery and Oil Guages and Added display. I could't give two craps about being able to change the light colors of my guages.... I do wonder though what else the GT Cluster digital display can do other than change the display colors of the guages.. Anyone else know??? Does it display error codes in digital form??? Anyone know...??? I was always dying to know.

Tony K.

1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible
2007 V6 Convertible (Pony Package)
MCA#70001

It tells you miles per gallon, warns you when the fuel tank is almost empty, that kind of thing. I also would not give you a dime for My Color.
There was a company that sold the clusters. This has been covered in depth here a few years ago.
Again, I don't think the wiring is present in cars built after 2005. So wiring would be a major issue.
Anyone else have input?

I upgraded mine a few years ago. First, you need to pop out the blank where the 3 switches would go. If you have a wiring harness plug stuffed into the back of the blank then you're good. If not, forget it.

You go to the dealer and order the cluster. They need your current miles. The cluster center will program it with your miles and send it. You will also need the switch assy. You go to the service dept and have a tech remove the information from your cluster with his computer, swap the cluster over and he will install the information to the new cluster. It takes all of 5 minutes to swap clusters. I have no idea what information the tech retrieves, but it's not the mileage, it's something else.

A new cluster will cost around $400 depending on the dealer. I got one cheap for $50 from a race shop that happened to have about the same miles as mine (within 100 miles). The switch assy is probably around $50. I payed $39 with fleet pricing a few years ago.

Like I said before in the beginning, When someone comes out with a Kit for the wiring, This will be the #1 interior mod!!!!!!! lol.. :o)

There has to be an easier way to do this on a '06-'08 stang...

Anyone know?

Ok, I read all 220 posts in the entire thread! Great thread by the way...

Ok...So what's the easiest way to remove the plastic dummy non-switch block off plate without marring up my dash?????...So that I can check for the existence of the necessary plug????!?!??!?!????

:shrug:

I wanted to switch the TCS/Hazard buttons over to my driver side (wouldn't work) and I took the center console out to take the blank buttons out. It really isn't hard to do if you are worried about scratching the dash up. You take out a screw in the center console storage bin, pull off the two plastic trim pieces on either side of the radio area, then lift the center console out and the center of the dash comes right out. If you search around a little you can find directions with pictures.

For the 2nd time this week, I tried to "POP" off the IUP Block off plate without marring my dash...and I actually broke the tool that I was using!!!! Incredible! The dash is still unmarred, but I need to figure a way to get this damn MYCOLOR IUP DUMMY Plate so I can see if I can do the IUP INFO/SETUP/RESET switch and cluster upgrade. How do I get this F'ing Dummy plate off without F'in up my dash!!! I tried from behind under the driver's side..but there was too much crap behind the dummy switchplate such as ductwork, etc. I might have to remove the radio in order to get behind the switch... Any ideas????????????

I'm F'ing going nuts with this dopey block off plate removal... Need help!!

Sorry for the profanity, but it is necessary at this point!

Thanks,

Tony K.