Anyone with Bilsteins? Opinions and feedback? Got a couple questions...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well I was just curious if anyone has put Bilsteins on their 87-93 and what did you feel in response...how was the handling/traction/and feel of the car before/after?

Will it make the car ride smoother...I'm tired of hitting little bumps and it my feels like it "bottoms out"...I figure it is also the bump stops doing that but I hit little bumps and my car squats down to much...probably I guess that is why I have good traction (before the h/c/i swap)...

Anyways...my long term goals for this car is to do a 5-lug conversion and I was wondering if these will be affected (the Bilsteins) when I do them...I do not want to buy bilsteins twice...

Here are the rears that I'm going to get...

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=270

Here are the fronts...

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=269

Seems like the cheapest prices I have seen...

Oh and what would it hurt if I put on the back before I did the fronts? Anything?

Thanks for any feedback...and will buying the 87-93 front struts/rear shocks affect a future 5-lug conversion?

Thanks again...

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine for $459 shipped from this guy on ebay that sells them all the time. My old shocks were really bad, lets just say I could move them like an accordian once removed - they were that bad. Anyway, the control was unreal when I first got them. They were a little harsh at first but they did break in and it is the same deal on the stang as with my truck, go over a bump and that's it, no more bouncing around. Also if you corner really sharply, then the shocks tend to really glue the tires to the road, they handle great and I never get wheel hop anymore. Another nice little gain was some of the newly-found traction on the rear. 5-lug axles have nothing to do with the suspension, so don't even worry about the fear of haveing to get new shocks. They are costly, but what do you expect for the best all-around shock with great control and reliabilty on par with no one else?

87'GTstang said:
I got mine for $459 shipped from this guy on ebay that sells them all the time. My old shocks were really bad, lets just say I could move them like an accordian once removed - they were that bad. Anyway, the control was unreal when I first got them. They were a little harsh at first but they did break in and it is the same deal on the stang as with my truck, go over a bump and that's it, no more bouncing around. Also if you corner really sharply, then the shocks tend to really glue the tires to the road, they handle great and I never get wheel hop anymore. Another nice little gain was some of the newly-found traction on the rear. 5-lug axles have nothing to do with the suspension, so don't even worry about the fear of haveing to get new shocks. They are costly, but what do you expect for the best all-around shock with great control and reliabilty on par with no one else?

Well I was going to buy the rears and then when I get some more money (as to play it safe) I'm going to get the fronts...seems like you got a pretty good deal... :nice:

Well I was wondering about the 5-lug thing because they sell them for 87-93 stangs and 94/95 stangs and I'd probably go with a sn95 disc brake setup...and was wondering if their was anything to worry about as in clearance or different fitment...because I will need new spindles and all...I just want another confirmation...

Did it lower or heighten your ride at all...

Hmm...it is a bit harsh huh? I wish "harsh" had a better guage of feel...just like a car is "fast"...what is fast???? I want my car to ride comfortably for the passengers as well...I don't want it to be an unpleasant experience for passengers even though I get a bit selfish with mods for my car for my pleasure...

Thanks for the reply...

5spd GT said:
Well I was going to buy the rears and then when I get some more money (as to play it safe) I'm going to get the fronts...seems like you got a pretty good deal... :nice:

Well I was wondering about the 5-lug thing because they sell them for 87-93 stangs and 94/95 stangs and I'd probably go with a sn95 disc brake setup...and was wondering if their was anything to worry about as in clearance or different fitment...because I will need new spindles and all...I just want another confirmation...

Did it lower or heighten your ride at all...

Hmm...it is a bit harsh huh? I wish "harsh" had a better guage of feel...just like a car is "fast"...what is fast???? I want my car to ride comfortably for the passengers as well...I don't want it to be an unpleasant experience for passengers even though I get a bit selfish with mods for my car for my pleasure...

Thanks for the reply...

It actually raised the car up about a 1/4" which is no big deal to me. In a short time i'll be going with the MM front coilover conversion setup and 1" drop H&R rear sport springs.

Harsh is the word i'de describe for break-in. After that they softened a bit to the point where you'll feel a bump, but it won't jerk the car or knock the wheel out of your hand like some other very stiff shocks - I guess you could say they are firm...........

As to the 5 lug conversion, I see your point now. If you are going to a new setup with the sn95 front spindles, that's a different storry. The rear should remain unaffected because you do not make any changes to the way the shock connects to the axle. For the front however, you are dealing with the lower mount of an sn95 and the upper of a fox car. I would be willing to bet they are very close to one another in terms of design. If the spacing and the mount is the same design on the sn95 spindle, then get the strut for the fox. I am pretty certain there is a difference between the struts and i'm not positive, but I believe it to be that the sn95 uses a longer one. Research for the differences for a sure fit though.

Good luck on the decision and your goal.............

87'GTstang said:
It actually raised the car up about a 1/4" which is no big deal to me. In a short time i'll be going with the MM front coilover conversion setup and 1" drop H&R rear sport springs.

Harsh is the word i'de describe for break-in. After that they softened a bit to the point where you'll feel a bump, but it won't jerk the car or knock the wheel out of your hand like some other very stiff shocks - I guess you could say they are firm...........

As to the 5 lug conversion, I see your point now. If you are going to a new setup with the sn95 front spindles, that's a different storry. The rear should remain unaffected because you do not make any changes to the way the shock connects to the axle. For the front however, you are dealing with the lower mount of an sn95 and the upper of a fox car. I would be willing to bet they are very close to one another in terms of design. If the spacing and the mount is the same design on the sn95 spindle, then get the strut for the fox. I am pretty certain there is a difference between the struts and i'm not positive, but I believe it to be that the sn95 uses a longer one. Research for the differences for a sure fit though.

Good luck on the decision and your goal.............

Hmm...I didn't want it to raise the car...oh well...oh and I have the B Springs (they are higher than the C springs in ride height right? Mine are the ones that don't lower it much at all)...if that matters...

I have MM subframes/adjustable caster/camber plates/and those B or C springs...if that matters...

Right now my struts are the stock replacement types (Gabriel is the brand)...

Yeah I want to find out if the 87-93 struts will effect any thing when I do the different brakes/spindle/lug conversion...

Thanks again...

Shocks/struts don't raise ride height, that depends on the springs. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit and I don't think the springs are actually stiff enough for the Bilsteins. Supposedly the best match is H&R springs, but I haven't found the right deal on those yet. I love the shocks - huge improvement over stock. If you're going over some really bad road, it can be a bit jolty, but that's also a factor of the stiffer-than-stock springs. If the road is smooth or semi-rough, the ride is really smooth. I think I need a better alignment or C/C plates, because my wheel loves to wander, but I don't think that's a factor of the struts.

Get Bilsteins, you'll love 'em.

Ash

I LOVE mine. I put them in before I did my full length weld-in subframe connectors, and after the SFCs were in it was tough to notice a difference. Bilsteins are really tight. If that's what you like, you will love them.

Asha'man - Bilsteins (and many others) are gas-pressurized shocks. They can raise the ride height slightly as they have a bit of "spring" rate built into them via the gas pressurization.

I've used Bilstein's exclusively for more years than I care to admit. Most of my new cars I've pulled the stock shocks off when they were brand new and put Bilsteins on. And the Volvo has them all the way around. There are many quality shocks out there - but I'll stick with Bilstein.

I highly recommend Bilsteins. I love mine, no more harsh ride. My only suggestion, is call Maximum Motorsports and get the right part numbers. You never know when you may switch to coilovers, and MM's rear kit needs th '94- up stlye. Call them for part #'s, and check into Shox.com.

Hmm...so I'm getting no more harsh ride and harsh ride?

Probably eventually I will get coilovers and that...but that is WAY down the road...I just want some shocks/struts that let it handle better/but ride smoother and hopefully more comfortable?

So is it the B or C springs that lower the ride height the least of the two...which ever one it is is the ones I have...I just can't remember which "letter" the previous owner told me...

Alright guys...give me more "feedback"...what did it do to your car that made you like them...what did you notice/not notice...etc...

Thanks again...

Alright...when I go over like a speed bump for example (even at a LOW speed) it feels like my car bottoms out (but not on the speed bump)...is it those bump stops inside the springs?

Basically what I'm asking what makes my car ride smoother/more comfortable/and handle better when referring to the strut/shock combo...Will Bilsteins enhance all those areas...? A closer to "cadillac" feel would be nice...

So will the 87-93 Bilsteins effect my future 5-lug conversion because I'll have to get different spindles and all...what about coilovers...will I still be able to do those also? I'm not to familiar with coil-overs or what they do? Care to enlighten me?

So is it the B or C springs that basically let you ride at stock height level?

"Think Cadillac-style smoothness and tightness. "

Well, if there's a reference that would turn me completely off it would be to Cadillac. While they're finally actually trying to compete with the likes of BMW and Mercedes, for the most part, they've done nothing but produce land barges for nearly a century. Historically, there's nothing about their ride/handling that's attractive to me as a performance enthusiast.

When people talk about ride quality or lack of it - it pays to learn more about their entire suspension/chassis set up. Shocks only play a part in that balance between ride and handling - springs, bushings, wheels/tires, chassis stiffening, roll stiffness are all a part of the equation. Bilstein also valves shocks in a lot of different ways and their street/standard replacement shocks are different than their sport shocks are different than their racing shocks. So be sure you have the context when someone says their car rides harshly or like a Cadillac (god help us if we have Mustangs that ride like Cadillacs).

What I'd add is that a quality shock will stop wasted motion. But they're not a miracle cure - for ride or handling. You'd do best to think about the suspension as a whole. I think the simple fact is, that if you stick with a brand like Bilstein, or Koni, or Tokico - you really can't go wrong.

I'm just worried that the B or C springs (which ever lower the car the least is what I have) will be a rough ride with the Bilsteins?

Are the ones I linked in the first post the ones I need? Are they the correct ones...I dont' see any other options for sport or auto-x type Bilsteins...just those in the above link...

Does anybody have any info on the "bump stops" in the springs...does it hurt to remove them?

What are some suspension ideas that can help make my car RIDE like a cadillac...not perform like one? But I want to handle better also...

When I hit a sharp bump my car feels like it will literally split in two it hits so hard...like little humps on the highway...where new pavement isn't quite smooth with the old pavement for example...or where a bridge meets the highway...

Okay this link has the part number as V36-4138-FOX

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=269

And this link has the part number (very similar...assuming the same thing) as V36-4138-H1

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/bilstein.asp

They are labeled as "sport" on the MM website...these are the same struts for the front right?

Also...on the MM website it says they fit the "1987-93 Mustang 5.0 & 1986 with 87+ spindles"...So does the 87+ spindles mean the 94/95 also since it didn't include an ending year?

In short does anybody know if these 87-93 struts will work with a 5 lug conversion swap later because I will have to use different spindles...

On the Bilstein rear shocks for the foxbody...it says "1These shocks are not suitable for running in coil over applications due to the different lower eye weld configuration. We do not groove these shocks for our rear coil over kits. Coil over applications must use the 1994 and later shocks (BE5-6418-H0) and remove the bump stops from the frame rails These applications used bump stops on the shock shaft."

"RIDE like a cadillac.....handle better also..."

In my opinion these two things are the suspension equivalent of wanting a small displacement engine that makes huge torque low in the rpm range, but also makes huge HP high in the rpm range. They're mutually exclusive.

What else is done to your suspension? What chassis stiffeners do you have? How many miles on the chassis?

Michael Yount said:
"RIDE like a cadillac.....handle better also..."

In my opinion these two things are the suspension equivalent of wanting a small displacement engine that makes huge torque low in the rpm range, but also makes huge HP high in the rpm range. They're mutually exclusive.

What else is done to your suspension? What chassis stiffeners do you have? How many miles on the chassis?

I mean ride better than it currently does and still handle better...a vette can ride nicer and handle good...so I think there is something to be gained on my car...besides the other contributing factors of the vettes chassis/suspension...

I put these in an earlier post but I have MM subframes/caster,camber plates, and B Springs...with stock style replacement struts/shocks...145k on the car...

I just don't want to have to buy Bilsteins twice also...