Anyone with Daily Driver or close to it with staggered wheel setup?

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
Hello everyone! I've talked to EPIK and some other people with staggered whell setups regarding tire wear, etc. I'm going with the setup in the spring and would be running about six to seven months a year on the 18X9 and 18X10 combo. I am keeping my stockers for my bad weather tires for the fall/winter/early spring. Any guys out there who drive roughly 8-10K/year with a staggered setup? How do you like it? Would you do it again? I know...:dead:

• Sponsors (?)

I drive 15,000 miles a year with a staggered setup. After that, it looks like one of the sides of the tires get worn out so that's when it all has to come out and new ones go on.

In the winter (now), I drive on 245/40/R18's up front and 295/35/R18's out back.

In the summer, I drive on 305/35/R18 drag radials out back as a daily driver.

Well....the car won't see snow so thats good. I have an old F250 for that. I would also have some 245/45/17's on it for the winter months in case I need to go anywhere. I'm very excited to get the new rims on it for next summer though. :nice: Just looking for some stories on how long people get on the tires before they have to purchase again since I drive mine a little more than just every nice day.

I don't see why a staggered wheel/tire combo would have anything to do with abnormal tire wear. If you are lowered, install C/C plates and a bump steer kit. I run 18x9 1/2 on the rear & 18x8 on the front. Tires are 285x35s and 245x40s respectively. I may not fit the yearly mileage criteria, but have 4K on them with no problems. Tires wearing evenly and the handling is great. Just my .02

I do have CC Plates on the car. I've been thinking about a bumpsteer kit as well. You will always have negative camber on the front end that will lead to premature wear on the fronts compared to the rears (or that I have always noticed even on my stock rims) since they cannot be rotated with staggered wheels. In your case, I guess it hasn't been extreme at all which is good. I just know the fronts will wear more in this fashion than the rears. Hopefully, I'll have the same situation you have and not notice it.

Staggered Wheel are For Car that sit in parking lots...They also Go Great with 4 LCD TVs and 3 12's

Or for cars making too much power for 275's. Obviously you will have greater tire wear because of inability for rotation, but thats the price ya gotta pay for style and traction.

I do have CC Plates on the car. I've been thinking about a bumpsteer kit as well. You will always have negative camber on the front end that will lead to premature wear on the fronts

The beauty of C/C plates is you can adjust the camber anywhere you want it, so stating that your car will always have negative camber leading to premature wear on the fronts is not totally accurate. Now, most people would probably dial in a 1/2 degree of negative camber to improve their frontend grip during cornering which would then make your statement true. Though, I then would dial in about a 3/16" toe-in to try and compensate for the inside tire wear from the negative camber. Toe-in also helps at high speeds where the front tires will tend to move towards the zero toe-in number increasing top speeds..

Or for cars making too much power for 275's. Obviously you will have greater tire wear because of inability for rotation, but thats the price ya gotta pay for style and traction.

When you have a larger rear tire the handles different. since the tire in smaller in the front, you get pronounced understeer.

F1 car arnt staggered...

I wont do it any other way but staggered, period...Maybe a fox body can get away with the same size wheels & tires all around, but 94 & up Stangs, Staggered is mandatory imo....

vettes, porsches, vipers, lambo's, etc, all have staggerd wheels from the factory? & so does the new GT500 BTW...So I dont get where your coming from with this one SRT???:shrug:

I have put 18k+ miles on my BFG KDW2's 265/35/18 & 295/35/18...Tire wear is pretty even besides the rear from burnouts & the outer edge of the front passenger tire is a little more worn from aggressive turning to the left.... Im sure if I babied my car, the tire wear would be about even all around. My DD 95 GT also has staggered 275/315 combo...No abnormal tire wear either. & it handles just fine imo??

When you have a larger rear tire the handles different. since the tire in smaller in the front, you get pronounced understeer.

F1 car arnt staggered...

The under steer isn't that severe; Don't over exaggerate that fact if you don't drive one on a daily basis SRT.

Is there under steer? Yes, a bit, in fact very little.
Is it something that isn't controllable? Not in the least. In fact, you'd rather have UNDER steer than OVER steer any day of the week.

What's the benefits? Rear end grip if you need it and if your rear suspension is SET UP for it. Mine is, yours may or may not be.

What's the downsides? Obviously, no tire rotation. Is that a big deal? Not really, my front tires lasted over a year and over 18k miles, and I drive my car daily and for work. Also, I beat the **** out of it in the turns.