Are 94-04 Cobra calipers all the same??

• Sponsors (?)

94-98 cobra calipers are the same as follows '94-98 Cobra, '95 Cobra R: 13.0x1.1" KVH rotors, 38x38mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

...and '99+ Cobra: 13.0x1.1" Brembo rotors, spec'd 40x40 mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

above info was coppied from http://sn95brakes.com/sn95brakes.php click on this link and it should answer your questions....

Reactions: 1 user
They will both work either way. I used 95 Cobra calipers and rotors on my 95 GT back when I was younger. The stopping power SUCKED REALLY BAD!!! I have read the Cobra calipers don't work very well, and heck I know that from experience.I also know a customer of mine who did that swap and he complained it didn't stop as well either compared to stock.

I used the PBR calipers from the 99-04 GT on my 91 notchback, and they are awesome. The stopping power is incredible.

SVT32VDOHC said:
They will both work either way. I used 95 Cobra calipers and rotors on my 95 GT back when I was younger. The stopping power SUCKED REALLY BAD!!! I have read the Cobra calipers don't work very well, and heck I know that from experience.I also know a customer of mine who did that swap and he complained it didn't stop as well either compared to stock.

I used the PBR calipers from the 99-04 GT on my 91 notchback, and they are awesome. The stopping power is incredible.
i put mach calipers/rotors on my 95GT and the stoping is amazing now, pedal feel is so much better also.

and i belive the gt's used fine thread bolts and the cobras used coarse thread banjo bolts

SVT32VDOHC said:

Thats odd, because i took the stock 03 GT PBR's off my GT and replaced them with the 13" Mach 1 kit and the difference was night and day

Then I put on sticky Bridgestone potenza tires. These tires stick like glue so under hard braking, so performance is VERY impressive. Under full braking the brakes slow the car down FAST. I absolutely love the Cobra brakes and tell my friends with 99+ GT's to do the upgrade. The GT PBR's suck compared to the Cobra PBR's. I wish you could come for a ride and see for yourself.

I've often read that the 94-95 cars need a MC change to make full use of the calipers, but the 96-later cars don't. Before the $400 kits became widespread, Ford used to sell their kit with separare part numbers for the 94-95 cars that came with a new Cobra MC

94-98 are 2x38mm pistons made by PBR Fine pitch thread

99-04 are 2 x40mm pistons made by PBR Mixture of coarse and fine pitch threads. Not sure on years.

For comparison, the 99-04 GT PBR calipers are 2 x 44.5mm

The front rotors on the 94-98 Cobra are made by Valeo, the rotors on the 99+ Cobra/bullit/mach1 are made by Brembo.

Here's the difference visually. The red painted caliper is a 94-98 Cobra caliper, and the black caliper is a Mach 1 caliper

You can see the physically difference around the pistons (thicker support on the 40mm caliper) and the difference in size in the actual pistons

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=926023

View attachment 426206
View attachment 426208

The measuring caliper is set to the 40mm piston, and placed over the 38mm piston for comparison

Attachments

• pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=926023
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=926023
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,442
You must be right about the master cylinder on the 94-95 cars. It must be different. I recall hearing that somewhere in the past few years. I never changed mine at the time, but I am still curious of which master to put on there. The Cobra master cylidner??

That's what I would put on there.

But the odd thing is on my Fox i have Cobra 4-wheel disk brakes with the 38mm versions....

I run a 94/95 GT MC and the brakes are fine? Weird

the 94/95 gt vs cobra mc debate comes up all the time on the 94/95 board. basic jist is a gt mc will work and provide a slightly firmer pedal that most like.

coarse banjo bolts started in 03, and must be purchased seperately.

I have '98 Cobra brakes on my GT. They perform much better than the 96 GT brakes that were on the car. I open track my car and I'm very hard on the brakes. The PBRs have performed very well so far.