Are gears worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

attachment.php

Alot of people around here are interested in track/quarter mile times too.. the poster never mentioned his purpose for the car, If it is going to be a street car with excessive highway usage, I would consider 3.55's (especially if you have a power adder/ manual tranny) and want a little better gas mileage. Most the magazines I come across recommend 3.55 for manual and 3.73 for auto. Most of the people I have met using power adders recommend 3.55. I think its important to recognize the purpose of the car before throwing in 4.10's etc.

3.73s will wake the car up tremendously. That is what I have in mine right now. I am switching to 3.27s since I put the Turbo in. The Turbo barely gets to spool any in 1st and 2nd gears, but is incredible in 3rd and 4th. This should allow me to stay in it longer.

Paul

Get 3:73's. They are streetable, and are the best compromise of performance and streetablity. You will always run into some gear freaks who will tell you, "Get 4:30's!" "Get 4:56's!" In a daily driver 5spd, gears like that are useless. You will be very happy with 3:73's. In an aode, 4:10's are a good choice, but in a daily driven 5spd, go with 3:73's.

ponypowa2 said:
Alot of people around here are interested in track/quarter mile times too.. the poster never mentioned his purpose for the car, If it is going to be a street car with excessive highway usage, I would consider 3.55's (especially if you have a power adder/ manual tranny) and want a little better gas mileage. Most the magazines I come across recommend 3.55 for manual and 3.73 for auto. Most of the people I have met using power adders recommend 3.55. I think its important to recognize the purpose of the car before throwing in 4.10's etc.
:nice:
Good explanation....not to flame you above, but I see all the time where people write "IT IS RECOMMENDED".
When you put that, you need to put the source (as you have in this post now)

I too have seen the 3.55/5speed, 3.73/Auto too, but I think the "common practice" is one gear higher. Having said that, I am fine with the 3.73's in the AODE with the Vortech, esp since there are issues with speed-o and rev limiter with the 4.10's....I do agree as mentioned above tho, that it is not worth the $$ to change out from what he has to 3.55's...probably not worth the expense of the upgrade.
Thanks
RC

I swore to myself I was not gonna get in this thread.

A few obversations on this topic.

Now days you see most peeps say for na go with 373's or 410's. For those of you who have been on these boards for a while ...... remember not too long ago everybody said 355's or 373's ...... Hmm wonder what we can draw from that?

Now the truth is the difference between 355's & 373's is nothing. Do the math. The highway rpm thing is just unfounded between those two ratios. I guess that myth will go on forever.

Now 373's and 410's REALLY ARE a different strory due to to the fact that there is a much greater difference between them.

I'm done now!

Later
Grady

94GTLaserRC said:
:nice:
Good explanation....not to flame you above, but I see all the time where people write "IT IS RECOMMENDED".
When you put that, you need to put the source (as you have in this post now)

I too have seen the 3.55/5speed, 3.73/Auto too, but I think the "common practice" is one gear higher. Having said that, I am fine with the 3.73's in the AODE with the Vortech, esp since there are issues with speed-o and rev limiter with the 4.10's....I do agree as mentioned above tho, that it is not worth the $$ to change out from what he has to 3.55's...probably not worth the expense of the upgrade.
Thanks
RC

Yes sorry I dont pay attention to what I write sometimes :D

final5-0 said:
I swore to myself I was not gonna get in this thread.

A few obversations on this topic.

Now days you see most peeps say for na go with 373's or 410's. For those of you who have been on these boards for a while ...... remember not too long ago everybody said 355's or 373's ...... Hmm wonder what we can draw from that?

Now the truth is the difference between 355's & 373's is nothing. Do the math. The highway rpm thing is just unfounded between those two ratios. I guess that myth will go on forever.

Now 373's and 410's REALLY ARE a different strory due to to the fact that there is a much greater difference between them.

I'm done now!

Later
Grady
Many people that got the 4.10s wish they got the 4.30's :D

Funny how it all works out

ponypowa2 said:
Yes sorry I dont pay attention to what I write sometimes :D

NO ...... NO ...... NO

The stuff I said was not based on anyone's post in THIS thread.

I was just thinking out loud about the countless number of these gear threads where it seems some of the info that is given is based on ...... what somebody said ...... what somebody read in some other gear thread ...... or just somebody's opinion.

Gear selection should be based on (math) tire size, mph, rpm, etc. Not opinion.

I was trying to show how opinions have come into play with respect to gear choice as the trend has now gone to steeper ratios.

A while back people who ran 410's were made fun of.

Later
Grady

I've got a question regarding mileage. I saw Super302 posted that "the gas mileage aint bad either" with 3.73's. I aint packin a 302, but a SLIGHTLY modified '04 4.6 with stock 3.27's. Does anybuddy know, from personal exp, how 3.73's will affect the mileage on my ride? I'd love to know cuz I gots 'em sittin in my garage, still-in-box. My appologies if this is the most repeated question ever written.

I have stock 2.73's and don't really mind them. I love the fact that I can run 80mph and only tach 2000 rpms. My feeling is if you have the torque to pull the gear then run it. Gears are usually made to compensate for low end loss, larger drag tires, or to keep you in a certain power band. After I dynoed my car I found out I was putting down 260tq@2000 rpm and 298tq up to about 3700 rpm (mostly stock). If I change to 3.55's or 3.73's, that means I will have to shift once again before the 1/4 and every time you shift you lose a little momentum. I just don't really see it as a bang for buck mod. I can stomp my cousins 87GT with 3.55's and my friends 01GT with whatever they have for stock gears. Maybe some day I will switch but I want to see how far I can take the 2.73's w/o power adders.

(I'm sure I will get some great responses to these comments, I expect it...fire away)