Automatic wont shift out of park??

Pizzaman

Aug 7, 2003
Hi all, Thanks for looking/ and or helping with this problem. I have a 93 GT Automatic. This morning went out to go to work and it wont allow me to move the stick out of park. The ignition swith on does release the lock, but will not move out of drive. There were no warning signs, and the tranny hasnt been touched in months. Any Ideas??? Thanks for any help!!

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like you may have an interlock cable/solenoid problem then...take the shifter trim off and see if you can see the solenoid move when you put on the brake...it should be on the side of the shifter..usually on the passenger side of the shifter mechanism.

Applying the brake/ignition on releases the shift mechanism so that the button can be pushed on the stick, the stick then moves about 1/4 inch or so, then i get the resistance/ wont go no further.

hmm...sounds like it may be a shifter cable binding then...try disconnecting the cable from the shifter and see if you can move the linkage under the car on the side of the transmission...that will tell you at least if it's an internal tranny problem or not.