Automatics vs. Manuals

Automatic vs. Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 67 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

Those percentages of drivetrain loss are generic for mustangs and possibly most cars, so the answer is no.

I personally feel like I have more control over a manual car and why not choose another 5% power.

TJMAudio said:
I was talking to my friend the other day about the 2005 Mustang I am getting in January (GT Coupe), and I am probably getting an Automatic. He called me a dumbass for it and said to get a manual, they are quicker and faster. Now, what is your input on this? From what I recall a redone Automatic is basically a manual with perfect shifts...
Please put in your opinion.

i am getting an automatic 05 mustang gt in 2007. it'll be my first car so i'm gonna start out with the new 5 speed automatic transmission.

In a perfect world, yes manual is the way to go. I love manual trannies. But unfortunately the wife doesn't know how to drive one, and when you have kids you can never underestimate the value of having the free hand all the time. Also manuals suck in stop and go as stated and the free hand is excellent for slamming on the horn and for unleashing the bird at will. :D

Personally, I like manual. A lot more fun and control over the car.

I've had 2 auto and 2 manual cars. The autos were cool to drive around places and everyday but there's no driver input, the transmission does what it does, you can only hit the gas and brake. If it's your daily driver, auto is the way to go, weekend warrior, manual is my preference, and that's how I have my cars set up LOL.

Most people WILL be faster in an auto, but will it be in all circumstances? don't know.....

Like everyone said a manual is much more fun but for consistency and also rush hour traffic you'd have to go with the automatic. If you're not a very good driver the auto will be faster.
I know in my case since I drive it daily in rush hour traffic I really don't have time to practice powershifting or hard launches so if someone wanted to race I would have a problem with a launch or 1-2 shift where with an automatic it would be done for me. That's why I opted for a large HP advantge :).

spencerod said:
Am I missing something? I thought the GT had 300 hp at the crank, thus therefore and always you meant 255 hp and 240 hp manual/auto respectively. Now that I am finished being a jackass I have a question. Do you know if he drivtrain loss #'s you quoted are specific to the '05 Mustang, or are you quoting generally held notions of drivetrain loss.

'05 Mustangs supposedly are underrated from the factory. Avg. RWHP is around 273ish and RWTQ is around 295ish give or take which makes it about 325ish bhp and 350ish btq. Some are lower and some are higher depending on mother nature and whether it's on a Mustang dyno or DynoJet Dyno. Still, nice numbers coming from a GT. Those numbers rank up with the '01 Cobra/'03 Mach 1s. The GT is a bit heavier than previous GT models though. From reading other mags, websites, it's still about .5 sec. faster than previous Mustang GTs in the 1/4 mile. Not bad at all in my opinion.