BBK equal length shorties

I am really interested to know about these shorties as well. I have read a few articles a few months back about them but havent seen or heard anything else about them. My car is lowered and i am really looking forward to find out about clearance. The clearance issue is why i havent put on LT's yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Just received my headers this afternoon. They should be going on next week sometime. The quality has given me some mixed emotions. There seems to be a lot of extra welding slag left on the inside of the tubes and the welded beads around the tubes and flange doesn't look very even. Probably nothing that a little time with a dremel can't fix, but I'm some what disappointed. There was also some rust developing on the inside of the tubes, but hopefully that won't hurt anything. Well guys, not trying to be too negative, but just my first impressions after looking at them for 10 minutes and spending $400. I'm sure once they're installed, I will be very happy. I will keep you updated with the install next week and then hopefully not too long before a custom dyno tune :banana:

Finally got around to the install of the headers this evening. I worked on it for about 2.5 hours and got a lot accomplished. Both stock manifolds are off. The passenger side was much harder than the driver's side. You will need a number of different size extensions or else you will be out of luck. I also took out the starter for more clearance. This was all done on a lift, with the help of my buddy who has done many header jobs in the past. It looks as if the passenger side motor mount has to be disconnected to get the new one back in. I will keep you guys updated tommorow when we finish. Sorry, but no pics.

You probably also dropped the A/C compressor down as well. A lift does help quite a bit as will the passenger motor mount. Take your time to tighten all of the header bolts evenly and firmly. Good luck!

Well, the install is almost complete. It took a lot longer than expected because we ended up just pulling the motor. The passenger side header was a tight fit, and then we couldn't get the top three bolts started. We tried disconnecting the motor mounts, thought about dropping the k-member, but finally just said the best way is to pull the motor. Within four hours the motor was pulled, the new headers installed, changed the trans fluid, and reinstalled the motor, trans, and mid-pipe exhaust. All that is left do tommorow (I mean later today) is to add coolant and recharge the a/c system. We didn't fire it up yet because it was too late at night, but I will tell you guys how is sounds vs. my current setup. Sorry again for no pics, but I don't own a digi.
BTW a big thanks goes out to my buddy for helping me. This is definitely not a job for the weekend warrior. I have done some serious jobs in the past, and this one is up there for a major PITA. I don't have experience with other headers, but my buddy who helped me has done numerous on other mustangs (both long tubes and short tubes) and he said that he has never seen anything like this before. It must be BBK's new tuned length design. But right now I would like to kick their designer's a$$ because I don't think there was any other possible way. Even with the motor out, some of the header bolts were still pretty hard to get to.

Sleepy1 said:
Well, the install is almost complete. It took a lot longer than expected because we ended up just pulling the motor. The passenger side header was a tight fit, and then we couldn't get the top three bolts started. We tried disconnecting the motor mounts, thought about dropping the k-member, but finally just said the best way is to pull the motor. Within four hours the motor was pulled, the new headers installed, changed the trans fluid, and reinstalled the motor, trans, and mid-pipe exhaust. All that is left do tommorow (I mean later today) is to add coolant and recharge the a/c system. We didn't fire it up yet because it was too late at night, but I will tell you guys how is sounds vs. my current setup. Sorry again for no pics, but I don't own a digi.
BTW a big thanks goes out to my buddy for helping me. This is definitely not a job for the weekend warrior. I have done some serious jobs in the past, and this one is up there for a major PITA. I don't have experience with other headers, but my buddy who helped me has done numerous on other mustangs (both long tubes and short tubes) and he said that he has never seen anything like this before. It must be BBK's new tuned length design. But right now I would like to kick their designer's a$$ because I don't think there was any other possible way. Even with the motor out, some of the header bolts were still pretty hard to get to.

I think you should have just dropped the k member. :shrug:

The way the headers are designed, some of the tubes run right in front of the bolts. Even with the k-member out, it still would have been too hard to get the bolts even started. Another one of the problems we had (but it will help in the long run) is that we installed brand new ford exhaust gaskets. The BBK gaskets are some type of graphite material, that will burn over time and start to leak. The ford ones are a three piece (metal sandwich). Therefore, the bolts are harder to get started because you have to push it past the gasket before it will line up with the bolt holes. It is kind of hard to explain, but you would understand it you were there. I still stand by earlier post that pulling the motor is the only realistic way of doing the headers.

Everything is done now, and I have mixed feelings about the whole situation. I think it is ridiculous that the headers had to go in the way the did. However, the SOTP meter is pretty happy. My exhaust note is a little deeper than before, but definitely still unique. In my personal opinion, I would not have bought these headers if I knew what was involved for the install. I still plan to get a dyno sometime soon...hopefully at least 10hp/15tq. But it is nice knowing that the stock manifolds are off, and I don't have to worry about headers interferring with my next clutch job :nice:
Note: As I reread the box they came in, the headers are not equal length, they are "tuned" length.