been to track TWICE!! cobra cant get into 13's, HELP!

yz250

Jun 8, 2003
help guys! ive been to the track twice now and i just guess im a crappy driver. ok my runs are like 14.4, 14.2. however, my trap mph range from 100 to 102, so i know the power is there i just cant get a decent time. BUT my buddy jumped in it and gave it a run of 13.9 at 101! :bang: i bogged twice too, im thinking its the start thats killin me.

my car:

01 cobra convertible, c&l 80mm mass air, php intake spacer, o/r h pipe, flowmaster 2 chambers.

what is this car capable of and what am i doing wrong?

i'll get the actual slip posted on here tomorrow to give you guys a better look at what i might be doing wrong.

thanks guys,
jordan :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I have 99 cobra convert, my best run stock was 13.7@ 105. If your running street tires drop air pressure to about 18 lbs, and stay out of the water, just a light burn off to warm them up. Launch just above idle, because the wheel hop of the 99-01 irs is a killer. Get your 60 ft times under control and your car will do better :flag:

yz250 said:
help guys! ive been to the track twice now and i just guess im a crappy driver. ok my runs are like 14.4, 14.2. however, my trap mph range from 100 to 102, so i know the power is there i just cant get a decent time. BUT my buddy jumped in it and gave it a run of 13.9 at 101!

Here are some things you can do to squeeze out a few more tenths:

- Drop weight. We have a ~200 lb disadvantage compared to coupes. Remove everything from the trunk, including the spare tire. You can also save about 30 lbs by taking out your back seat.
- Work on your launches. IRS is tricky. My two best 60' times (which admittedly still suck) came from slipping the clutch at 3k and by just dropping the clutch at 2k. Alternatively, get some sticky tires and drop the clutch at 5k. :)
- Power shift. Keep your right foot to the floor, start yanking the shifter out of gear as your left foot goes down, and don't push the clutch in any more than absolutely needed. If you're pushing the clutch all the way down, you're wasting time.
- If you have an open mouth filter, you can probably gain some mph by yanking your passenger side headlight. I got +3 mph in 100 degree weather by swapping my stock intake tube for a JLT RAI with an S&B filter and pulling the headlight out.

haha sounds like me, first time to the track with my car, couldt brake into the 13's stock. best time 14.0 @ 103 . on these cars, its all about the LAUNCH. try from different RPM's 1500, 2000 and so on. the IRS is crazy. like said above. PRATICE PRATICE PRATICE............ :D

yeah well hopefully when i go back i can get a 13.7. sorry about those slips i have like 6 or 7, just havent had time but i do want u guys to look at em and help analyze what i doing wrong.