Best place to get Speedo Gears?

All right, I want to replace the speedo gears and kill the bobbing at low speeds that I hvae now. Any suggestions on a better place to purchase these gears??? No one makes actual metal gears right? They are all nylon/polymer?

thx!
JOUT

• Sponsors (?)

Wrong diagnosis, lubricate the entire speedometer cable. Over time the lubrication wears off and friction inside the cable is what causes erractic needle movement on the speedot.

But as to answer your question, the easiest/convenient would be the dealership. They sell them for easily under $20 and most commonly around $15.

87'GTstang said:
Wrong diagnosis, lubricate the entire speedometer cable. Over time the lubrication wears off and friction inside the cable is what causes erractic needle movement on the speedot.

But as to answer your question, the easiest/convenient would be the dealership. They sell them for easily under $20 and most commonly around $15.

Hey, thanks a lot, I will try that out and let you know what happens!

i have the same problem and i have heard about this cure for it before ... but what would u sugest to lube the speedo cable? lithium grease...or what? also how would u do this? i wouldnt even know where to start.

ninety15.0 said:
i have the same problem and i have heard about this cure for it before ... but what would u sugest to lube the speedo cable? lithium grease...or what? also how would u do this? i wouldnt even know where to start.

See the local auto parts store for some graphite speedo lube. You'll get a little squeeze tube of stuff to lubricate the lower half of the cable. You get to remove the instrument cluster, pull the speedo cable housing loose from the speedo head. Then you get to pull the flex cable all the way out and lube the bottom half of the cable. UGH ... messy!! The bottom end gets lubed so that it doesn't work its way back up the cable and into the speedo head.

Getting the flex end to properly engage the drive adapter on the transmission is a trick, and can be difficult. I had to disconnect the cable at the bottom end and work it into the drive adapter/VSS sensor. Try twisting the speedo end of the cable. As long as you can turn it, it isn't seated properly in the drive adapter/VSS sensor.

It's a hard and PITA thing to do because you never get 100% of the grease in the cable sheathing. you basically have to remove the entire cable itself and as you are putting it back in the casing you use a pretorleum-based substance (preferably gel-like) and apply it to the cable.as it slides back in. It's a messy job yet hard to do but it cures the friction problem associated with the erratic speedometer needle.

Thanks a lot fellas...i would love to get that fixed... every time a new person gets in m car they are like "what the hell is wrong with you speedo...bla bla bla" i hate it hahaha! i will try it when i do my white faced guages next weekend. thanks again