BFG Drag Radial 2 - How are they dangerous under rain?

Xcessiv

Jul 16, 2004
Hi guys,

I recently installed a Vortech V2 on my '01 GT and the 4.10 combination is overkill on the street. I keep spinning until 50 mph. I have ET Drags for the track but I like to do some spirited driving on the street too. I keep reading that people who installed BFG Drag Radials on their 350+ rwhp car don't spin in first gear, I'd like to give it a try. :p

My concern is driving under rain. I'd obviously take all necessary precautions but I don't want to risk my life and my car. ;) Is driving on highway under rain THAT dangerious with the BFG DRs? Did people who wrecked their car take risks or if they simply aquaplaned when driving in straight line at 60 mph on the cruise control?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Yan

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think anyone wrecked their 350+ rwhp stang in the rain on DR's because they were driving agressively. Its easy enough to lose control in a STOCK 99+ in the rain if you're trying to. Then again, some people are quite stupid.

Its most likely the tread pattern. I'd venture to guess in light rain with no water build up on the roads, you'd be ok if you took it slow and easy. In heavy rain, I wouldnt hesitate to pull over and wait it out.

DRs + rain = grim death

grim_reaper.jpg

Never use cruise control in bad weather... yer just asking for trouble.
especially on drag radials. that's just not smart.

I've driven my turd on m/t et street radials in slight rain and when the roads were damp, but never in a down pour. I'd think, though, long as you're careful you'd be ok. Or at least just pull over until the heavy rain stops.

i used to work for a bf goodrich dealer and had asked them this question. there answer was that i was designed to drive to the track from your home. not in foul weather. if caught in a rain storm they told me to pull over and wait it out. they also told me that buying a quality tire like the kd would better benifit me on the street because the drag radial needs to be heated up to get its best traction. ie. burnout before launch. while a street tire doesnt, so a street tire is better on the street for traction if you are not going to do a burnout before the light turns green. this is how they explaned it to me. i have never tried it but i figured i would give you there explanation.