Bolt-on dyno test in side

38stang

Founding Member
Jan 3, 2002
VA
The new 5.0 mustang mag has an article on the 99 up 3.8l telling dyno results of all the bolt-ons available for it. Check it out, it puts a lot of the he says she says to rest.

The one thing that made the most HP was unbolting the exhaust from the Y-pipe. And the throttle body’s every one has been putting on their cars is killing 2HP.
They made almost 200HP at the wheels with all the bolt-ons that BBK and a couple other company’s had to offer with out a power adder. With a power adder (nitrous) they made 262HP.

• Sponsors (?)

The car comes with 190hp crank with 154hp to the rears.
I liked how they dynoed the CAI which everyone flames, and it did damn well.
The TB was expected to lose HP and TRQ. I would have taken it off and threw it away.
After the TB install, everything else was kinda confusing as for HP increases.

94GTStang said:
The car comes with 190hp crank with 154hp to the rears.
I liked how they dynoed the CAI which everyone flames, and it did damn well.
The TB was expected to lose HP and TRQ. I would have taken it off and threw it away.
After the TB install, everything else was kinda confusing as for HP increases.

Which CAI was it??? And what was the Gain???

Oh, and what month of 5.0 Mustang is this?? I have the December one and it doesn't have it. I guess it must be January or something.

stlboarder said:
Yeah I got the February one a few days ago. I put a post about that article up after I read it. I dunno... why do they send the February one out in December?
lots of mags do that i get a skating one that i got the feb one for a few weeks ago. i thought they did it to make it to news stands for the correct month but they r still at least a month early. doesnt make sense to me they should release it at the right month.

here is the info from the mag

Mod------HP-----TQ---------GAIN/LOSS (HP TQ)

Stock----154.3---191.6

CAI------162.6----198.4------8.3/6.8 GAIN

70mmTB-157.9-----193.8------4.7/4.6 LOSS

UDP-----168.3-----199.2------10.4/5.4 GAIN

Headers--165.3----195.2------3.0/4.0 LOSS

open
exhaust--176.6----198.4-------11.3/3.2 GAIN

dual ext--170.4----194.3-------6.2/4.1 LOSS

Nitrous---232.5----289.8-------62.1/104.5 GAIN

MAF------258.0----309.5-------25.5/19.7 GAIN

stock
header----243.7----287.2-------14.7/22.3 LOSS

keep in mind the maf probably wouldnt have done JACK if it had not been for the N20 and what nots... still odd about that i dont see why they didnt do the n20 after all the bolt ons....

They should've bolted each on seperately for the dyno tests, because compound gains aren't terribly useful when judging individual parts. For example, when using aftermarket headers on a (mostly) stock car, you're going to lose power, but after doing the nitrous and MAF, you are gaining power with the headers. The nitrous should not even be tested until the end, because it makes the header/MAF testing worthless (two of the more common bolt-ons).